Friday, September 16, 2005

Cruising in the West Caribbean

Well last week I got back from a week long cruise in the West Caribbean. Stops included Belize City, Belize; Roatan Island, Honduras; Grand Cayman and Cozumel Mexico.

Highlights?

The first that comes to mind is the "dolpin encounter", as they named it:



This was my most expensive excursion at $135USD, but I thought it was worth it. We were in Roatan Island in Honduras and we bussed over to a marine study center. I suspect they they don't do any real study there....although they do get students in during the summer as a sort of marine biology school. That would be a fun thing if I were a kid (and had rich parents).

They keep dolphins in pens and they have multiple dolphin trainers. You are assigned into a small group of 6 - 8 with a specific trainer + dolphin. You get to pet the dolphin, feel it's teeth and tongue, learn about it's anatomy, feel it swimming around (and through) you, hug it, let it kiss you, watch it do tricks, like a fast swim, tail swimming etc. That was really fun and entertaining. The dolpin actually had a surprising number of scratches and scars. After it was over, they gouged us with the photos. Even though most of us had brought underwater cameras, there was a person taking high quality digital photographs. We decided to buy them all, since it was relatively cheap to get all our photos on CD. It was $40, which worked out to $8 per person. Just buying one printed photo would have been $15.

In the photo itself, Kitty and I are hugging the dolphin while we taking the photos. The dolphin started to rotate ontop of me, so I'm getting pushed into the water. I have a surprised look on my face and Kitty seems to be laughing (at me).

I am going to post more pictures, when I get the rest of them in my possession.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home