Thursday, January 08, 2004

My Blog now!

I don't know what happened to Nelson, but I will take care of this baby until he returns. Maybe he's too busy with fantasy basketball (his team kicks ass whereas mine is now terrible) so he's found other ways to distract himself.
Anyways, let's see whats new in the Hammer:

Courses: I was hoping to have a relatively relaxed final year, but that's not going to happen with all of the following on my schedule:
Econ 3AA3: Advanced Macroeconomic Theory: A course on building macro models to estimate changes in income, interest rates, and unemployment resulting from policy changes.
Econ 3A03: Advanced Microeconomic Theory: Uses calculus and optimization to model consumer choice and utility maximization.
Econ 4G03: Advanced Econometrics: A hardcore statistics course to study economic data. I was leaning against taking this one, but i'll have to learn this stuff in grad school anyways, and I'm doing very well in stats, so i figured i'll kill myself and take this one. Taking all three of the above advanced theory courses in the same term is unheard of, though!
Econ 4A03: Honours Seminar: In undergraduate economics, we rarely have time to discuss the policy implications of the theory we build.... most courses simply develop analytic tools that we'll need down the road. This seminar course discusses the economic impact of social issues such as post-secondary education, divorce, for-profit hospitals, or an aging population. It also requires a 20-page term paper, but after my 60 page undergraduate thesis last term, I'm not particularly concerned.
Arts&Sci 4A06: Independent Study: I had the opportunity to be on some media research team studying globalization and the news... Basically they hooked up digital cable to my house, and I would monitor the Hong Kong news, while other team members would watch other newscasts. It sounded like fun, but the work is tedious and taking time away from my hardcore economics courses which have a lot more to do with my future plans. I'm hoping it gets my Cantonese a lot better though.

I was hoping to only take 4 courses in this last term, but it looks like i'll stick with 5 for now. I may drop econometrics later on in the term.

Overall, though, it's looking like an academic future is looking more and more likely. I've been working really hard and getting really good marks these past couple of years. I honestly think I'm a better student now in university than I ever was in high school. I don't know what it is, but I'm just really motivated to work hard. Just the other day, I wandered in to see my economic history professor (a class that I really liked and did really well in) and he mentioned that he would like to hire me (he's writing a book on healthcare economics) for some research help! He definitely encouraged me to go into academic economics and wrote a reference letter for me. I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle the extra work given my hectic schedule (i'm also a TA for an Arts and Science Western Thought course), but I'm sure it can't hurt -- especially if it stretches into the summer.
I was talking to Carol today, and I get the feeling that neither one of us is too keen on leaping into law school too soon. I think I'm going to explore economics first, and see what it has to offer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home