Sunday, June 13, 2004

Corn-Dunks

Earlier in the term, I was at the supermarket buying cereal. I like Corn Pops, so as I was walking down the cereal aisle, the No Name brand of corn pops caught my eye (since they were cheaper, of course). Because I was undecided as to which cereal to buy, I picked up the box to read it. They named it "Corn Dunks", with the 'o' in Corn replaced by a basketball. On the side of the box it read:

Alley-oop! When you play the game,
you play to win and when you want
to win, you should always start
your day with a slam dunk bowl of
cereal! Enriched with 7 vitamins
and minerals and low in fat, this
tasty cereal can be an important
part of your nutritious MVP
breakfast. Don't get caught snoozing
at the free-throw line; get "nothing
but net" with Corn Dunks
Cereal and nothing but milk!

Who writes these things? Do kids get to write these things? Is it someone's job to explicitly write stuff like that? Did it come across some editor's desk and the editor thought that the writing was so good, that it needed to go on the box? And who is it targeted towards? When kids read this stuff, does that make them want it? Or is it for parents? When a parent reads this, does it make them want to buy this product for their kids? I'm perplexed. Maybe I'm too used to seeing writing on my cereal box aimed at adults.

In the end, I guess it was successful. It made me want to buy it. Hmmm....What does that say about me?

PS They're pretty tasty

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home