Monday, March 24, 2003

Well Michael Moore did have some strong words, but they were drowned out by the booing. Maybe it's a Charleton Heston conspiracy. If you watched Bowling for Columbine, you'll know what I mean.

I would also like to take the time to encourage everyone to watch Bowling for Columbine. It is a really eye opening view on fundamental differences that exists only in America. It's main subject is Gun Control, but I think it also provides one (of many) window(s) into the pysche of America - which is especially relevant with the recent world events. This entertaining documentary has also changed some of my personal views too. Beforehand, I thought that I might end up working and living in the States, but now, I'm not so sure I want to. I always thought that it wasn't that horrible down there and if I were living there, I would be able to filter out the negativity and stay true to myself. But it is a really different culture and attitude down there, and not something that's very welcoming (especially if you want to raise kids). But perhaps this negativity exists only with white Americans...I don't know.....I generally don't like to make wide inflammatory extremist statements like that, but IMO, that's what Michael Moore partially portrayed. On the flip side, he also portrayed Canadians in a very positive light. I especially liked the bit on trusting Canadians having unlocked doors. Actually I think I've reached a different conclusion on America. To live in America and be happy, you have to be damn rich. So if I end up down there, I'd better be damn rich. But who knows about my future financial situation; I haven't lived my life with money as a top priority and who knows where that'll take me or whether that will change. Anyway, I think I'm rambling.

I need CNN and Al-Jareeza (I guess an understanding of Arabic wouldn't hurt either).....I've been watching a lot of the war coverage recently. I've got some thoughts on it, but I feel it's getting near my bed time, so I'll save that for another time. But I was watching a lot of TV and was not able to find any network playing the infamous tape of the American POW's. For all those people out there that feel disconnected, detached or indifferent (whether by selfish choice or otherwise), I have found some images that should stir some thought and reflection and also happen to be quite disturbing. View at your own discretion.

I urge everyone to try to participate in your society or at the very least, be informed.

--Nelson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home