Monday, June 02, 2003

Basketball

The last month has been full of basketball playoffs, and once again, I'm stuck here without cable. I think the best part of having cable is getting all the games. Instead I've been relegated to following it on the internet. But one good thing is I do get to watch some highlights through ESPN Motion. For all you sports fans out there, go to the espn.com and download the software necessary for ESPN Motion (you can use the link I have on the left side of the page). The great thing about it is the video quality displays motion quite well as the name advertises. This is especially important for sports, because all the action is happening at a fast pace that has traditionally been unwatchable over the internet. The difference is that ESPN downloads the information to your computer automatically and when it's done, it tells you about it. Overall, I found it to be quite an agreeable time waster.

You'll also notice I put a link to SLAM ONLINE, "The Links". IMO, one of the best blogs out there, because it gives a street perspective of the NBA. It's like having your best friend in the NBA, and he calls you up every day (well every weekday) to tell you what went down. It's the same thing as people who have a preoccupation with celebrity gossip, except I'm following the lives of NBA players. Kinda sad when I think about it... But the writing is pretty articulate, he's generally well read, and it is entertaining; so, I guess i'll continue with my particular preoccupation.

Speaking of basketball, here's an article relating the sci-fi series by Frank Herbert, Dune to the NBA. More specifically, Muad'Dib to T-Mac. This is one of the weirdest things I've ever seen. Who would have thought sci-fi would intersect with professional sports? I mean how many people out there would appreciate this article? Well I certainly did, being a fan of the book and a fan of the NBA. But still, I think it's weird that someone even wrote this article.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home