Monday, June 09, 2003

Top 100 ______

I have a liking for top 100 lists. Even though these kinds of lists are totally subjective and perhaps suspect, I still respect them.

Take the top 100 books of the 20th Century by the Modern Library (a part of Random House). I would like to get around to reading all those books, but I know I won't. But it serves as a guide for my future readings. I've only read a paltry 12% of the list. If only I had more time and resources. I find that recently, I've been reading more non-fiction material and even a lot of technical material. I guess engineering and arts don't intersect very nicely. Actually, I came across this site on the internet recently that searches for the full text of published works. So if you're bored, head over there and read some books. Unfortunately, I have never enjoyed reading books off the computer screen. If someone could figure out a way to make it easier, convenient and more enjoyable to read from the screen, let me know.

Anyway, the reason I'm blogging about this is because the AFI (American Film Institute) recently released 100 Heroes and Villians. It's a fun list to read through and one thing I noticed was that for the Star Wars movie, Obi Wan and Han Solo make the list as heroes, but Skywalker is nowhere to be found. But the best part of the list is the number one hero, Atticus Finch, from To Kill a Mockingbird. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've read the book. I can safely say that he is one of my personal heroes. Judging from the list, I guess a lot of other people do as well. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, read the book and you'll understand why. He is such a strong character. His good sense of morals are tested throughout the book, but he courageously stands by them. He is also such a good role model. If I ever become a father, I would try to be like Atticus. I probably don't have his strength and courage, but it is something to aim for.

Even though this may sound strange, do you know who else I found was similar to Atticus Finch? Furious Styles, the father from Boyz in the Hood. Man, i could write an essay on this....but I'll spare you the grief. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home