Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Random Stuff

I just found Lang Whitaker's picture from SLAM ONLINE on the internet. He's a white guy. And all this time I thought he was a black guy. Not sure what the means if it means anything at all...

Farenheit 9/11 is out in theatres and I haven't seen it yet. I'm sure it's going to be entertaining, funny and totally one-sided, and I want to see it. I don't think it'll sway the opinions of people very much. People against Bush will love it and agree with it, and people against will think it's unfair. Bush was nicknamed the great divider by Time once, meaning you either hated him or loved him. The upcoming election will be very interesting (unlike Canada's, which in my opinion is a little boring).

Actually, I think there's going to be another Canadian election relatively soon (soon as in 3-4 years). From the little about Canadian politics I know, it will be difficult to get a lot done with a minority government. I just hope that the NDP won't be able to wield too much power.

Summer terms are good for sports and bad for grades. In addition to the basketball team, I'm also on the softball team. Unfortunately they always seem to conflict. I'm also working out, but very inconsistently. I've lost 5-10 pounds over the last few months (of muscle) because I was sick so often last term. But the lucky thing so far is that it hasn't been too hot. We live in a house without air conditioning. :(

Just bought Warcraft III/Frozen Throne last week and have been playing that alot. It's tough to work when your roomates are always playing. I very rarely buy games, but I'm happy with my purchase. Blizzard makes good games. Plus, the only way I can play on Battle.net is by buying the game.

Just reformatted my computer as well. WARNING: the following paragraph is computer related - you may want to skip it, unless you'll like to learn something about spy/adware. I have had quite an interesting experience. I was getting a benign error on boot up that really didn't appear to do very much. But I figured I should reinstall windows anyways. So I did. Unfortunately, I had previously put my computer on DMZ mode (and unfortunately forgot that I did that). BTW, DMZ stands for demilitarized zone. That means I'm not protected by the hardware firewall. If you don't understand what that means, it means that my computer is extra vulnerable. When I had finished repairing/reinstalling, there were no window updates, which makes even more vulnerable. Pretty much right on bootup, spyware, adware etc was getting installed on my computer. I remember surfing to the macafee site, so that may have been what triggered it, but I'm not sure. It's frustrating that my computer was found and exploited so quicklky. So I just reformatted instead. On the second time around I made sure I was behind the firewall and just to be extra safe, disconnected myself from the internet. I reformatted my system partition, installed windows and installed service pack 1 (I have a real version of windows through the microsoft deal with UofWaterloo) before getting on the internet and proceeding to download the rest of the (security) updates. I was safe then. But it's just amazing how quickly my vulnerable computer was found and how quickly they were able to install unwanted software (approx 5 different programs) on it. So keep that in mind if you're doing any reinstalls.

I've been using a lot of Mozilla Firefox lately. It's a quality piece of (open source) software. The only advantage IE has going for it right now is that Google only makes the Google toolbar for IE. It's ironic that the only reason I'm using Microsoft's IE is because of Google's IE plugin.

For father's day/bday, we went for a lobster dinner at Lobster Royale Seafood Restaurant. Eating fresh lobster is very good, but a little tiring because of my lack of practice. :)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home