Monday, March 24, 2008

Rock Band on Wii

They finally announced Rock Band for Wii today. I wanted to get Rock Band as soon as it came out last fall, but since I don't own a PS3 or Xbox 360 I was SOL. So I patiently waited for this announcement. I even held off buying Guitar Hero III, since I wanted to know if the guitars would be compatible with Rock Band. The answer seems to be "we hate consumers, fuck no".

I had a chance to play it this weekend in a party setting (as opposed to in the store, like a loser, which I've done...several times) and it's pretty fun. It really excels in a party atmosphere, except it seems like singers are hard to find. Drums are really fun as you can really wail, which is satisfying, although tiring. Also, it seems lot of people don't like hard rock songs or are not familiar with them, but for me, it's my preferred music genre.

But now it looks like I might not end up getting it after all. Nintendo once again fucks up the online component. There will be no online play and no downloadable content. The big thing here is the no downloadable content. I've been mostly "downloading" music, but with Rock Band I would actually buy (many) songs. But since I can't and the only system I own is the Wii, I'm SOL...again.

They try to push Rock Band as a platform, and I think it's a good idea. I think buying music for Rock Band is reasonable and something I would buy. Most of the songs are $1-$3 dollars and they release new content weekly. I can forsee future albums being released in music stores and the Rock Band store simultaneously, so that not only can you listen to the music, but also experience it.

Anyway, I'm not sure who to be pissed with, Nintendo, Harmonix, Activision or all of them. None of them are getting my money.




(Unless I buy a PS3 or Xbox360......)





Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger dre said...

FINALLY you play rock band.!!

3/27/2008 12:14 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

I saw rock band at the Nintendo store. It looked pretty fun but I didn't stay long enought to try it out. I thought it was interesting though how they put the wiimote in teh top of the guitar.

4/01/2008 4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home