Friday, February 01, 2008

Snow Day

Everyone at my work left at noon today on account of the bad weather. It's nice to get an unexpected break once a while. The drive back to Toronto was tough though. I haven't seen so many trucks in the fast lane in my life. It only took 1.5 hours, so it wasn't horrible.

The extra time off allowed me to catch up on the US election process. I don't follow it daily, but I follow it more than Canadian politics. Recently Guiliani stepped out of the race, which was a little surprising to me. I thought he would be a strong contender. Right now it looks like McCain will will win the Republican leadership and Obama with a slight lead over Hilary. Personally, if I could vote, I think I would vote for Obama. To look at it simply, I think he would make a good leader. Even though I don't think the Republicans have a chance, I think John "Hero" McCain would make a decent leader too. He supports more troops in Iraq, which I think is needed until things settle down. It's easy for me to say, since I'm not American. If Clinton wins it'll be interesting to see what kind of role Bill would take in the White House.

From a gaming point of view (yes, I realize there are more important issues), this article outlines the candidates views on gaming. Obama and McCain come out on top...coincidence? Obama also happens to support net neutrality and "openness". This really catches my attention, but whether he can actually pull it off is another matter.

I think it would be even more interesting to see a Clinton-Obama or Obama-Clinton democratic ticket. That could really be groundbreaking!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger supastar k3v said...

Yeah Gulliani hasn't been close because when he talks about issues, he just seems to tie everything to 9/11.

I believe McCain ran 8 years ago against Bush so he has experience at this and should win the nomination. Romney is too Mormon and I haven't heard too much about Huckabee although he seems moderate and would be my pick if I had to choose one.

2/03/2008 9:51 AM  
Blogger Matt W said...

Now that Super Tuesday is over, I think that your predictions seem like they will come through. McCain has way more delegates than Romney and Huckabee does so it looks like he will win the nomination. Obama and Clinton and basically split.

I am very pleased about McCain. He's pretty much all I could ask for in a Republican candidate (and I support Democrat). He's a lot more moderate than a lot of the other Republicans out there and I think it's very telling that a lot of his support is in the North East and West Coast (well, Cali.) and NOT in the deep south. It's also very telling that he does NOT have the support of right wing crazies like Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter. I think it's a good sign when the hard-right pundits who have had it good these last 8 years are getting worried about McCain in office. Hopefully the right wing zealotry will die down a bit if McCain wins the office. McCain also had a good record of working with Democrats (Lieberman, Feingold) which is also good. I would be reasonably happy with McCain being president. I once saw an interview with Huckabee on the Daily Show and he actually seemed like a pretty decent guy. But his lack of foreign affairs knowledge and his religious pandering (well, he is a minister so maybe it's not pandering) is a little too much for me. I think Romney is a very slick politician whose record shows that he says what he needs to say to get elected. I think he has special interests written all over him.

Obama and Clinton make a very interesting pair and my sincere hope is that whoever wins immediately asks the other to be their running mate. In many ways, it seems foolhardy not to do that. The way the delegates are split so evenly and with the support so vocal and vigorous, there would be loads of really unhappy people if the loser of the primary were to just disappear. I think if they could set aside their differences and be one another's running mates, that would be amazing. I think they would be pretty much unstoppable if that happened. I can't say I have a preference right now for Hillary or Obama (I have to remember Obama isn't his first name). I would like to see Wes Clark as defense secretary though :)

2/06/2008 10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home