Thursday, January 03, 2008

Network Neutrality

Please I want some now.

Recently Bell decided to shape our traffic. This means that during "prime time" my torrent speed is reduced to a mere 30 KB/sec. Normally without shaping I get sustained peak of bandwidth in the 700 KB/sec range. I can download an hour TV show (eg Heroes) in 25 minutes at that rate. Now I have to leave my computer on overnight just to download one show.

But what really pisses me off is that it completely kills watching live basketball on the internet via p2p. I don't have cable, and the number one thing I miss is live sports. I even went to Chris/Keith's just to watch some ball (especially during playoffs - the Golden State/Dallas series last year was orgasmic for any true basketball fan). If you follow the links, you can have virtually league pass at your fingertips....if only Bell didn't shape traffic.

(The NBA should just provide Internet League Pass for free since it includes all the advertising anyway and they can only stand to gain revenue. There is a small issues with localalized advertising, but I'm sure something can be worked out. Really, they are just milking League Pass and blocking access to fans. But I digress, it's a rant for another time).

Then Bell decided to charge us more last month because they suddenly instituted a 60 GB download/upload limit and we went over. WTF!!! It really makes me want to change to something highly recommended like www.teksavvy.com.

Also, if politicians were to start talking seriously about network neutrality, I would actually pay attention to local politics and it would definitely sway my vote.

Speaking of voting, check out this hilarious video of Chris Bosh:

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Hung said...

Yes, I am on TekSavvy for $27/month, 200GB Cap on Premium tier ($40/month for Unlimited)

Blame the upstairs person for traffic shaping. WA HA HA

1/04/2008 12:10 AM  
Blogger Nelson said...

Yes, that's what I did at first, but they told me they don't have Bell as their customer, so they must be using a competitor's product....

1/04/2008 10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home