Monday, July 23, 2007

Godfather

I always have a tough time posting in the summertime. It's seems like there are so many activities to do that blogging becomes secondary.

This weekend, I hit up Docks, saw my cousin Eric there with his gf, played 3 softball games + practiced, checked out Missisauga Ribfest, ate out for dinner twice and had a BBQ with extended family.

I also opened Godfather for Wii, which I had bought 8 months ago. Wow, that game is violent. Maybe I'm not in the right demograph for these type of violent sandbox games, but having it on the Wii makes it even worse. The controls are really well done and you perform violent actions, like beating people up with bats (or my favourite, the flaming 2x4), punching them, grabbing them, throwing them around, choking them, etc. After my initial shock, it became really fun. I still can't bring myself to needlessly kill innocent civilians, but I have no problem with rubbing out rival mobsters. Check out the video to see it in action.



Godfather is my favourite movie, so maybe I was destined to like the game as well. If there is a popular license, the actual content can be subpar and the license can bring it up to make it an enjoyable experience. Like Transformers the movie for example. Maybe I'll like the Transformers game, even though it was rated horribly by all outlets.

A nice touch is that I recognized a lot of the real life NYC locations in the game. I can't wait for a game to recreate Toronto. This is one of the first "sandbox" games that I've played. I've somehow managed to avoid GTA all this time.

EA did a relaly good job with the Godfather license. They've recreated all the characters from the movie and you follow along with the movie plot For example, one of the early missions has you beating up the college preppie who violently raped Bonasera's (Funeral Director in the opening of the movie) daughter. Another one has you accompanying Luca Brasi to befriend Sollozo. Another mission has you helping Micheal Corleone protect the Don at the hospital. I can't wait to play out the rest of the movie. This leads me to believe that I'll give Scarface a try as well, although I didn't like Scarface as much as The Godfather movie.

So far I think this is one of my favourite games for the Wii. Right up there with Zelda for single player games. But now, I can't wait for Smash Brothers Brawl, Mario Galaxy and Mariokart Wii.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home