Thursday, August 16, 2007

Hong Kong Bound

Almost time for vacation! I'm heading to Hong Kong Aug 27th - Sept 8th with Kitty and her family. I've never been to Hong Kong before and I've only been to Asia once when I was really young.

People are warning me that it'll be really stressful with the Kitty's family. They have an apartment there (they are going back to sell it) and we'll all be staying there. I didn't really think about it until someone mentioned it to me, but now I'm starting to get a little nervous.

One of the biggest problems is language. I don't speak or listen to Cantonese. I have lessons on mp3, but haven't worked my way through them all. A coworker offered me an electronic translator. Mike & Maggie got me a Lonely Planet Cantonese phrase book. It's pretty funny, because it has pickup lines, rejections and sex related phrases. People tell me that English is fairly common, so hopefully I'll be alright.

We have a few friends over there and hopefully we'll get to meet up with them. Victor Hsi is over there at the same time as well, so we'll probably meet up. Teresa said we would make quite a scene with a bunch of Asian people in a restaurant all speaking English. :)

So do people have any advice for me? I know it's going to be hot. Clothes is cheap. Avoid eating at street stalls. Anything else?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger loretti said...

happy belated bday!

wow i didn't know you were going with kitty! and i didn't know kitty family owns their own flat there!?! Why didn't kitty invite us to live there?!! One of the reasons I never planned a trip back to HK is cuz finding somewhere to live is a problem. Grrrr...Kitty....u better call me!

I dunno if it will be stressful, u just may get annoyed (ie. Chan family of super loud snorers causing you to loose sleep at night), but then u've been to europe too and did it the tough way, so its not like you're completely sheltered b4 going to HK...It'll be like going to NYC but everyone is chinese! And cheap super yummy chinese food is everywhere! Anyways just stick with kitty, I'm sure it will be fun!

AND your approach to learning cantonese is all wrong! u should be learning cantonese from tvb series!!

8/16/2007 1:34 PM  
Blogger supastar k3v said...

Just say you're a banana...jook sing jook sing I wonder if that works there, or does that mean you're born in HK...

8/16/2007 4:56 PM  
Blogger dre said...

toilet paper.
bring toilet paper.
or maybe that's just good advice for girls.

8/20/2007 2:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home