Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Super Mario Galaxy

I just "finished" Super Mario Galaxy today. (110/120 stars, so pretty close). The game critics have said they think it's the best game of all time, or at least one of the best of all time. Is it that good?

The best word to describe it is fun. Plain and simple, it's fun. There is just enough variety, just enough new things to discover, with no filler crap and well placed check points. It's not an addictive type of fun either. I never felt I had to keep playing to "progress" the story. Whoever "directed" the game did a splendid job of pacing.

The gameplay mechanic of planets makes the game really varied and therefore fun. Just watching Mario flying from planet to planet aided with a quick twirl of the wrist is a visceral joy. They added just the right amount of motion controls and except for a few dumb minigames (taking out the trash ftl), it adds to the experience. The controls include a second player option, which is a perfect way to include any person watching. (The link leads to a humourous story of shared gaming)

And of course there is the nostalgia factor. Who hasn't played Mario before? To add to it, they included a storybook which evocates feelings of lost childhood innocence. And then the music. The music is my favourite part of the game. The orchestral Mario music is....magical. I shit you not.

Despite all the positive comments, I don't think it's the best of all time, but I think it ranks very highly. There are a few flaws, the biggest one for me was that it was too easy. But that might be what made it so fun.

So if you want fun, play Super Mario Galaxy. Fun is guaranteed, but expect nothing more.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was here! When is Starcraft 2 coming out?

1/09/2008 10:47 PM  
Blogger Nelson said...

Wow, I totally didn't expect you to comment, especially on this post!

Starcraft 2's release date hasn't been announced, but I expect it to be sometime in 2009.

1/09/2008 11:01 PM  
Blogger loretti said...

i was helping my cousin (in SF) play this game too! i helped him finish the game!! i mean he really needed me to help pick up stars =P

1/10/2008 9:57 PM  
Blogger dre said...

i kinda stopped playing for a bit and got into rayman 2. But i'm trying to play it slowly so that it doesn't end hahah

remember those games like super mario world where we would play from the beginning over and over again?

1/15/2008 12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home