Saturday, February 02, 2008

Soju and Super Sunday

I always thought that drinking Soju was not as bad as other types of alcohol and wouldn't lend itself to vomiting. Boy was I wrong. The Soju was strong last night, and I drank quickly. Plus I'm a light weight, which doesn't help. I felt really bad about the mess, and tipped the guy and extra $20, but I don't know if that was enough.

Anyway, I've been playing a lot of Madden for the last few weeks. I've never played a Madden game before getting Madden 07 for Wii and with the football playoffs on, it made me want to play a season. I picked Pittsburgh because of Hines Ward and started the Franchise mode. There was all this stuff about preseason drills that seemed boring, so I skipped them all. Of course I was going to try to play for a perfect season and after finding out that you can restart games before they are complete without penalty, it was gravy. Almost.

The most frustrating thing is the AI. Sometimes, Madden will get into a state where the computer doesn't care and will try to win no matter what. It'll get interceptions out of nowhere and your players will fumble for no good reason. It's my least favourite part about Madden. Madden 07's game mechanics are broken as well. The running game is so strong compared to the passing game. Breaking tackles while on the run is simple (and fun), but a little overpowering. For passing, the defending players move so much faster than a thrown ball, so that half the time the safeties are in perfect position for a pick. But the weird thing is that most of the time the safeties will drop the pick for no good reason. It's almost random as to when an interception will occur.

At the end of the regular season, Big Ben had a QB rating in the 70's, with 25 touchdowns and 25 picks. I practically only threw to Hines Ward for the whole season since the rest of the Pittsburgh receivers are crap. I threw a lot of screens to him as well because his ability to break tackles is greater than even my HB or FB. Willie Parker, my HB, also ended up with about 1500 yards carried with an average of 4.5 yards. It was helped by Pittsburgh having what seems to be the best O-line in the game, so I also resorted to a lot of Quarterback sneaks on 3rd and 4th down with inches to go. They also have one of the best defences in the game and it was fun playing the MLB defending against the pass and the run.

For the Super Bowl, I faced off against NY Giants (how appropriate). It took me 4 or 5 tries before I could win, since it seemed like the computer AI was cheating so much. I eventually won in a 3 OT game. I'm horrible at kicking field goals, as it is based on motion controls, and I shanked two game winning field goals in the 4th quarter and OT. On my final drive I forgoed the field goal and went for a TD to Hines Ward on a Play Action from 5 yards out. Finally, I can stop playing.

Anyway, all this football talk is because the Super Bowl is this weekend. The Perfect Patriots will probably win and make history. My only hope is that the game is as entertaining as my Madden Super Bowl.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger supastar k3v said...

Is it computer assist? can you try to win each game 3-0? hahah

2/03/2008 9:52 AM  
Blogger Nelson said...

I think it's too hard to control. They can break away for a touchdown at the last moment and win. I think it's best to just score as much as you can. It seems like they are hard to beat from the beginning.

2/03/2008 6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home