Monday, February 25, 2008

Smaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash

I am bored with all my games. I have a lot of games to play, yet whenever I start playing them I get bored really quickly. I just started Metroid Prime 3 and even though the controls are really good and the game is interesting, I haven't made much progress. I'm having trouble finishing Phoenix Wright even though the story should be drawing me in. I even rarely log onto b.net, but that's mostly because I suck now.

The reason for this is that I can't wait for Super Smash Brothers Brawl! Smash consumes my thoughts. Sadly enough, I think about it all the time nowadays, so it's almost at the point where it's guaranteed to be a let down. It was my favourite Gamecube game and we spent countless hours playing it in University. It has depth and variety and most importantly, it's fun.

The Japanese version has already been released, so there are no more surprises in content. The number of new characters is overwhelming and even includes surprises such as Snake, Sonic and Olimar, Pit and R.O.B. My main character, Roy, was one of only four characters removed from this version :( . He was replaced with Ike, which appears to be a similar character, but I might take this chance to pick a new main as I was known for using the C stick to spam Roy's side smash relentlessly (and somewhat unskillfully).

Unfortunately, I will have much more difficulty employing this strategy. First of all, I plan to use the Wiimote + nunchuk control combination which means I won't have the cruth that is the C-stick. I don't own any wavebirds, so I have little choice in this matter. The other control schemes don't seem as good. The other change is that repeatedly spamming the same attack decreases the damage of that attack.

In general, the gameplay mechanics changed quite a bit. There are no more advanced techniques, making it easier for beginners to play. Other example include the automatic ledge grab, needing a higher % for knockouts and the slower pace. The biggest change is the introduction of the smash ball. This should really mix things up as everyone will try to go for these when they appear so they can pull off their Final Smash.

Having these "fair" (as in fair definition 8, not forward-air) gameplay mechanics might mean the gameplay is not deep, but the Penny Arcade guys had some really good thoughts in their recent blog post about the game balance. Games like MarioKart and Mario Party are "communist" in the sense that they allow for random outcomes and help the losers. Luckily, they don't get that feeling with Smash.

So, in hopes of playing Smash the way it was meant to be played, I'm planning on holding Super Smash Sundays. This means that I'll have an open invite every Sunday afternoon, at my Toronto home, for a Smash party with junk food included. The first one is March 16th and we'll see if we can keep it up week to week!

SMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger supastar k3v said...

I hope they have some sort of thing, like in Strikers, where you shake the controller and it smashes the person closest to you

2/27/2008 1:27 PM  
Blogger Nelson said...

If you click on the "other control schemes" link you'll see the following:

"...Huh? What’s that thing that says "Shake Smash" under Nunchuk?

With this function, you just shake the Wii Remote to do a Smash Attack in the direction you shook it. It’s a little bonus we added."

So yes, they have implement shaking the wiimote to smash.

2/27/2008 5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! I can't believe you still keep up with your BLOG. I am SO impressed. I just found the link for my blog and it hasn't been updated since 2005!!! :p ~Steph

2/28/2008 1:38 AM  
Blogger loretti said...

which phoenix wright r u playing?

3/05/2008 9:40 PM  
Blogger Nelson said...

I'm playing through the first one. I'm on the Samurai case at the moment, but I started Advance Wars so I'll probably get back to it later.

3/06/2008 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home