Monday, July 08, 2002

Hahaha, I'm a poet and I don't even know it... eh nels? hahaha

Well, back from camping and I brought with me about 30+ mosquito bites, the number keeps increasing as I find new bites. I really really really want to destory mosquitos! Ok, back to the camping trip. What can I say? My body is sore from an exciting weekend! It was by far my most physically active weekend. The first evening when we got there, we headed to the beach and played frisbee. I haven't played frisbee in years and it was just good playing it again. My team (me, nels, Ava and Carol) got off to a slow start and were down early. We hit rock bottom when our superstar player Carol succumbed to a foot injury (she stepped on a rock and it cut the bottom of her foot) and was forced to sit out. We rallied behind our fallen comrade and fought back to victory. Nels made some highlight reel plays that would have brought down the house if we had spectators. In one play, I tossed the frisbee the length of the field to a wide open nels. Nels kept running and caught the frisbee on one finger! The next monster play was also engineered by me. Cary was covering Nels one on one, so I figured I just toss it up and see what happens. Well, nels happened! The frisbee was floating in the air and it looked like Cary would intercept it. Cary jumped for the frisbee, but in vain. Nels leaped over Cary, reached over and plucked the frisbee out of the air before Cary could get his hands on it. Man, I wished I had a camcorder to get that on tape! But the best play of the day goes to Ric. The other team was driving hard to our end with Cary QBing. There was a lot of traffic as our team buckled down to play some tough D. Cary launched a blistering throw aimmed at Matt and boom! Ric popped out of nowhere, snagged the frisbee in one hand in midstride! It was beautiful! Props to everyone, especially the girls who played well (Carol, Ava, Steph). It was really fun!

The next day, Ric, Nels, and I went mountaing biking! It was quite an experience because I've never gone mountain biking before. I had borrowed my dad's bike because it had shocks but he's shorter than me and I forgot to raise the seat. So for the first half of the trip, as nels described it, it looked like I was riding a stunt bike. Well we rode up a big rock and everywhere we looked, it was rocky. I guess that's the Canadian shield for ya! Ric got too ambitious trying to get up a boulder and dented his gears. Anyway, to cut to the interesting part, we went to the adminstration building, borrowed some tools to fix our bikes, and then went to the Lookout Point Trail.

The Lookout Point Trail was the best part. After taking a few pictures, we were in a dilemma. The sign said "no biking". Actually it didn't SAY "no biking", but it had a picture of a biker in a circle that was slashed. We were like, uh, do we go? do we not go? In the end we decided to go... best decision we made! Come to think of it, the sign was probably for our own safety because it wasn't intended for biking. There were many rocky paths with sharp edges and dangerous drops.... but it was soo much FUN! We biked all the way to the bay, stopped for a few more pictures (btw ric, I want doubles please), went down the bay and threw a couple rocks into the water and climbed back up. On the way back, I almost lead the three of us over a cliff.... needless to say, I didn't lead the group at the end of the trail. AHhaha

After lunch, we headed to the beach for some more frisbee action! But this time, it was in the water! Gosh that was one good cardio workout. After playing frisbee and drying ourselves on the shore, we played an old school game... RUNNING BASES!!! For those who have forgotten this glorious game, I will give a quick tutorial. It involves catchers and base runners. There is aleast two bases with an equal number of catchers to field the bases. The runners try to run from base to base to accumulate their number of "bases" without getting tagged out by the catchers. If you get enough "bases" you can become a catcher. Fun times man!

Hahah, that night, the rest of the group went on a hike to look for stars, I was tired and afraid of getting more bites so I decided to hang around the fire with the citronella cans. So anyway, Ric, nels and I stayed behind. We experimented with burning stuff in the fire. Newspaper burns brightest when you lay out the paper in flat sheets. However, the risk is that the heat from the flames will blow the flaming paper out of the fire pit and start a forest fire. Cardboard burns very well too. It has very good staying power and burns almost as well and regular fire wood. The cool thing is that our cardboard had holes in it and you can see the flames coming out of the holes. Toliet paper wasn't as good as we thought it would be. Actually, toliet paper burned the worst out of the three.

On the way back home, I was in nels' car with Carol and Matt. It was a fun ride home. I bought some batteries for Nels' mp3 cdplayer and we had tunes to listen to on the way home. On highway 69 somewhere, we stopped to check our bikes to make sure they wouldn't fall off the bike rack, and decided to make stone statues. Matt and I climbed up the rocks and built this cool rock art. I say art cuz it's that good! Nels climbed the rocks just to take a leak (his poor left hand! hahahah) We took some pictures and continued on our merry way.

I can say I really enjoyed the vacation. I just hope next time we go to a place with no mosquitos, they like my protein rich blood!

Well later!
Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home