Friday, July 18, 2003

My thoughts:

Reading Tim's last entry, though my situation isn't the same, I can relate somewhat. As you all know, I'm trying to get into med school. Right now, I'm still on the waiting list for Western and since July is almost over, I've got to start thinking about contingency plans. Though I don't have the dilemma of chooseing between professional school and grad school because my heart is set out on med school, my problem is about getting in. And not getting in is what's making me worry about what to do. In the manner of Tim, here are some scenarios/plans:

1) Get an acceptance letter from Western. Now, I know a few friends that are in med school who had to wait till mid August before they got accepted, so that is somewhat comforting. But then again, it's almost August and I'm getting fidgety... I must be losing faith or something. Each week that passes by makes me question my abilities of being a doctor. Am I doctor material? I may have the heart for medicine, but do I have the head? Another friend of mine just got an acceptance letter and I'm all happy for her. However, my mailbox is still empty each day that I check (except for junkmail and bills). I'm at the point of paranoia, thinking what if it's lost in the mail? It could happen right? I mean, they are about to go on strike, what if they go on strike? The university only gives you two weeks to reply and if it's lost/stuck at the post office...... someone get me some Prozac.

2a) Don't get accepted, finish my honours Health Sci, reapply to med schools. This is my first and foremost plan if I don't get in. This time, I'll be hitting most of the med schools in Canada, not just Ontario. It'll be like a dragnet, hit em' all, and then wait and see which one is left standing.

2b) Don't get accepted, finish my honours Health Sci, apply to U of T bioengineering grad school. I told Tim about this idea and he said "cool, Matt's also thinking about grad school, maybe all three of us could be at U of T!" I've been working at the Centre for Studies in Aging at Sunnybrook for the past two years and my director there even asked if I would consider being a grad student because he'd supervise me for sure. Seems like a very good arrangement. I'd keep working on the same projects that I've been working, see them to completion and get my Masters.

Anyway, too make a long story short, I'd have to apply to med schools and grad school next year if I don't get in.

So how does God fit into all this? I don't know/ I don't have a clear answer. What I do know is
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD , "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11. So whatever happens, I'm trying to be content and trusting. Everything happens for a reason.

My thoughts 2:

After reading Matt's blog about the rampant corruption going on at the Ministry of Health, I'm livid. I remember the time we were in Cary's basement and Matt told us about his previous summer job (ironically a company contracted to work for the Ministry of Heatlh) and he told us all about the rampant corruption and misuse of funding that they had going on. And people have to wait 3 hours, bleeding to death before they can see a doctor at the freak'n emergency room. People have to wait years on the waiting list to get an MRI, when early detection and prevention is our supposed mantra for better health care. I'd put a link the Ontario Health and Long Term Care website, but it's a dead link. Those ministry webmasters are probably busy with more important stuff like playing online games. Many critics of our health system complain that with our current system, it's financially unsustainable. Yeah, at this bloody rate, all the money is going to be funnelled into buying new equipment for old ones that gets "lost". "Yeah, I lost it in my basement...." Maybe the ministry should set up shop selling illegal copies of software and computers to recoup some of it's losses. Our current system is fine, the principles that it was built upon has become a national ideal, grafted into Canadian beliefs. The system is not perfect, but we don't need a huge overhaul such as two tiered systems. What we should do is cut the fat and corruption out of our ministries. Then again, maybe we need a huge overhaul such as two tiered healthcare to get these guys off their cushy seats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home