Monday, July 28, 2003

RunTO

Yesterday marked the beginning of my running obsession. Yup, RunTO came and went and boy was it fun! The day started at 6:00, I woke up said a quick prayer and took down my race shirt that I've been hanging on the wall since I got my race kit. While I was brushing my teeth, the song "Right Here, Right Now" by Fatboy Slim was playing in my head. I was soo psyched!

I picked up Carol around 6:50 ish, then went on the highway 27 north to get Ric. Carol and I were talking about something and I had a braincramp and I forgot to exit on Dixon. Oh well, I picked up Matt then doubled back to get Ric and we had a laugh that I almost forgot Ric.

Anyway, I'll cut to the race. I was aiming for a 5min/km pace but there were sooo many people that by the time the first km checkpoint came, I was 30 secs behind. More weaving and passing but to no avail. I tried to keep up with Ric for most of the race, but got boxed in by some slow runners all running in a line. By the time I got around them, Ric was a fading dot in a sea of blue shirts.

Anyway, I finished the race in an unofficial time of 52:03.87. My personal best time! (by default...) I'm hoping by the next race I'll be under 50. The first person to finish the race finished in abou 30 mins. 30 MINS!!!! He could have watched an episode of Futurama without commercials by the time I finished the race. Amazing!

I must comment how pleasantly surprised I was with Nike. They really did a great job organizing and running the event. Granted, there were inconveniences (long wait lines for the time chips, bagcheck and washrooms) overall I'm happy about it. They gave medals to everyone who finished the race which made for a super momento to go with the race shirt. There were tons of free stuff througout this event, and not just on race day. Free training runs, dri fit socks and hat, vector bars, water, gatorade, krispy kreme donuts, pictures, polaroids, "free" posters, oranges, medals... it was an Asian wonderland! Anyway, I'm glad that Nike is deciding to make this an annual event. Needless to say, I'll be there.

PS For next year as well, we're going to have to do RunNY! So keep running!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home