Friday, August 01, 2003

Savant for a Day

I signed up to a bunch of pysch experiments this term. Some are pretty fun, some are boring and all of them pay you for your time. Since I have two hour long lunches, it isn't too inconvenient to go do them. But the one I really wish we had on campus is this one. The experimenters basically stimulated different parts of the brain with electrodes, and it "appears" as if your natural thinking ability increases. In the article, the writer was subjected to this machine and asked to make consecutive drawings of a dog. The first one started out very crudely and the longer he was hooked up to this machine, the more impressive the drawing became. It's suppose to stimulate parts of the brain that aren't normally used. I think the NYTimes put that article into their archives, but the place i originally got the link from, slashdot has a few more links. Unfortunately, slashdot's links have a slightly different slant than the original NYTimes article. They take on a more paranormal feel.

Anyway, I was just thinking how nice it would be to have one while writing my upcoming exams. I don't mean to have out of body experiences while writing an exam, but rather, being able to flick a switch and becoming a genius. I bet that would help my marks....You know what else would help my marks? I bet wasting less time and studying more would also help....So I'll get back to studying...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home