Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Opera

No, I'm not talking about the web browser, I'm talking about the singing/stage type.

After going through music history/piano, I kinda wanted to go see at least one Opera and see what it was like. Even more importantly, I learned that they subtitle the Operas and therefore the singing/talking/libretto wouldn't just be jibberish to me.

And after hearing about a few of them, one that really sounded interesting was Wagner's masterpiece, The Ring Cycle. Sorta a fantasy/dramatic story that takes four days to experience the whole story.

Anyway, as most know, they are playing Wagner's Ring Cycle in Toronto. I thought that it might be interesting to go watch it, but by the time I looked up the performance schedule (middle of september), I found out that they are playing the cycle only 3 times! I thought that was strange, because since it costs so much money to prepare it, why only play it 3 times? It must have something to do with the cost of running the show and the perhaps (low) demand? Anyway, it'll cost at minimum $300, which is quite pricey. I won't be seeing this yet, but maybe I'll go to one in the (far) future.

Kevin mentioned that they have free shows on weekdays every so often, which might be interesting if I was in TO.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home