Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Updated Links

Well I finally updated my blog. I have a new layout...the old one was gimmicky and I have updated my links.

For the past year I've been using a rss feed reader (www.bloglines.com) and I'm loving it. It's my one place for personalized information that I can hit up anywhere. Originally I thought that this would save me time, but I think it has ended up wasting me more time. I suscribed to a few new feeds that seemed interesting and now I'm addicted. So now I spend more time overall time reading stuff on the internet, but I guess it's more efficient. I divide it into three main groups, the personal blogs of friends (under blogroll), my "regular feeds" that I try to keep up daily and my "secondary" blogs if I'm bored or evaluating whether to include them in my regular feeds. I've only exposed my regular feeds and blogroll for your perusing pleasure.

I'm looking for more photoblogs, so if anyone can recommend any, I'd appreciate it. DDOI, is a classic and I love the photography he does...especially good because he's based in TO. Hot Photatoes is one that my friends started and it looks really promising as well. I'm really impressed with their photo skillz.

The gaming blogs, joystiq and kotaku are very entertaining (at least for me). I started following them quite closely only recently and that's perhaps why all my posts are gaming related...the best links come from those sites!

Dear Margo is like a guilty pleasure for whatever reason. It's like peering into other people's (usually messed up) lives and then getting a slap of reason.

I follow a bunch of food blogs, but obviously from my previous post, I don't do much about them after reading them. I really like the format that cooking for engineers presents their recipes.

I suscribe to Word of the Day feeds, which are suppose to build my vocab. The wordsmith one is run by someone with a sense of humour...or someone that just enjoys really strange and wacky words. It's also funny when you see word of the days being used on various blogs on the internet...obviously they suscribe to them too!

I don't know why the weather feeds don't work as links, but whatever.

I have only two sports feeds, but I read a lot more. Bill Simmons is literally the best sports writer ever...no joke. Steve Kerr is really good too, and surprisingly, he writes exclusively for Yahoo. Yahoo also happens to be my first source for sports news, so I guess they are doing something right.

I have a bunch of tech blogs, standards like Slashdot and Ars Technica. Two great software bloggers are Joel Spolsky and Paul Graham.

So I guess I'm trying to update my blog more consistently now. I feel a bit out of touch with friends with the start of the fall and the school year (for those in school). This summer was a blast for me, hanging out with friends every weekend and I kinda miss that...so I guess blogging is my way to keep in touch. Unfortunately blogging is very one way, so please leave me some comments

8 Comments:

Blogger supastar k3v said...

Hey you should enable your catpcha in your comments so you don't get all that comment spam that you have to delete.

Anyways, you just need to convince everyone you know to blog!!

Like get Victor to start a blog about his clubbing (mis-)adventures

9/27/2006 11:03 AM  
Blogger supastar k3v said...

Oh about the weather feeds, I don't know what their RSS feed URL is, but probably inside the feed, they don't define what the primary link for the site is, so it just outputs nothing, which ends up going to the page you're on already when you click it.

9/27/2006 11:05 AM  
Blogger Nelson said...

Thanks Aaron, i'll check those out.

Kev, I have enabled the captcha...if only they said "captcha" instead of "show word verification for comments" I may have enabled it sooner. Or maybe i'm just dumb...

Yeah, that would be a good explanation for the weather feeds. Maybe i'll make those feeds private and not display them on my blog.

9/27/2006 11:49 AM  
Blogger supastar k3v said...

LOL I think blogger is for newbies, so they can't use advanced terms like captcha.

If you want to move up to Wordpress, let me know I can host it for ya, or you can use the free hosting on Wordpress.com. The blogging software is actually a lot better than the current blogger (although there's a beta.blogger.com coming which sounds cool)

9/28/2006 10:18 AM  
Blogger Nelson said...

Aaron,

Those links are to pages of links....i would prefer you sending me links of specific sites you recommend if possible...

Kev,

Can you give more details on "The blogging software is actually a lot better". I'm lazy :)

10/03/2006 12:25 AM  
Blogger supastar k3v said...

Well for one, there is a RSS feed for comments ;)

How about, Wordpress 2.0 was released this year and has all the cool stuff, but Blogger hasn't changed since like...2002 or something

Also newbies start with Blogger, then move on to Wordpress ;)

Here are some biased links:
1, 2, 3.

10/03/2006 10:10 AM  
Blogger Nelson said...

yeah, rss feeds for comments is a great feature that blogger is definitely missing. After taking a look at those other sites, it seems like blogger is missing some other things as well...Hopefully it'll be fixed when the beta gets released.

Blogger has been changing throughout the years, just slowly and incremently. They are not up to 2.0 standards yet though.

I'm not going to change it for now, instead I'll wait. But you're right, it is behind in technology. This is a good site for comparison purposes as well.

10/04/2006 12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the last Quakefest before I left for the .jp, I saw you using Bloglines and was like, "what's that?" "Bloglines, my RSS feed reader." I signed up, and have been hooked ever since.

I'm the same way as you: it may have only saved me a little bit of time, but my blog-per-minute efficiency skyrocketed since I don't waste time clicking through 10s of blogs, trying to remember if I'd read something or not.

I divide mine into: Friends, Friends-of-friends, News and Totally Random.

For interesting Canadian political satire, you should check out Rick Mercer's blog at http://rickmercer.blogspot.com.

Jeff

10/05/2006 11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home