Monday, October 16, 2006

Wii Preorder Madness

Wii preorders were made available in Canada today at all EB Games. They had gone on preorder in the US on friday and most reports came back saying that they sold out within minutes of store openings. So I figured I didn't have a good chance of getting one, especially since I was going to be at work at 10AM, when most stores opened.

I forgot that most EB Games opened early when there are lineups. On my way to work, around 9:15AM, I decided to stop by Conestoga's EB and check out the situation. They normally open at 9:30, and when I got there, just before 9:30, there were ropes to organize lines, but there were no people. I went in and the person that walked in just before me asked them if they had any Wii preorders. The guy behind the counter said they were all out at 8AM. In fact, EB Canada was doing preorders for ps3 as well as the Wii. He said they were allocated 15 Wii's and 8 ps3. I was SOL.

I then proceeded to work, but it was still lurking in the back of my mind. I proceeded to call around to different EBs around town. Apparantly there are 4 EB games in Kitchener (all really close together) and only 1 in Waterloo, but anyway. One of them nicely told me that the one at Fairview mall had some preorders still available and if I hurried I might reach there in time. All other stores had sold out by this time.

Well I thought about for about 20 seconds and thought screw it, I'm going to go try for it. So I snuck out of work (I only ended up missing about 20 minutes of work, plus work is pretty flexible) and drove to the EB. I arrived and it was empty of people. I asked for a Wii preorder and I got #12 out of 15. Some guy came in right after me and claimed #13. I called back later and they were all sold out. So it seems the Wii is popular, but the ps3 is as well as it soldout everywhere. All allocations in the KW region were 15 Wii and 8 PS3 it seems.

Nintendo has slated about 2 million Wii consoles for North America, so preordering may not even be necessary! But I figure I may as well just to be safe. The PS3 has only 400,000 for North America, so it's definitely going to run out faster.

Anyway, I'm really happy :) Here is the receipt:


Damn preorder cost me $200! Ah well, still think it's worth it...I don't even want to know how much the preorder for the PS3 was! That console costs $600USD!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats nels! make sure you buy Madden, lol

-tim

10/17/2006 10:47 AM  
Blogger Nelson said...

Yes, when you preorder, you pay the difference when it arrives. I'll have to figure out the games I'm getting though, that's not finalized.

Yes, tennis is included as part of Wii sports....there are 5 games in that one - baseball, tennis, bowling, golf and boxing.

The Wii-mote actually has a wrist strap included, so it should reduce cases of whipping the controller at the screen...plus for most things, you don't have to make large movements...unless you want to and feel it's more fun!

10/18/2006 5:34 PM  
Blogger supastar k3v said...

I can't believe you actually drove to Fairview, and they still had one left after all that time

10/19/2006 10:00 AM  
Blogger Nelson said...

Kev, actually I went to EB games in Fairview at around 10:15AM...I was only at work for about 1/2 an hour in the morning before deciding to go get one. BTW, I don't condone skipping out of work and feel kinda guilty about it, even if it was only 20 minutes...

10/19/2006 12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nelson, how I add your Mii? I haven't really figured out all the Mii functions yet because I'm hooked on Zelda. Message me on Xanga to let me know! :D

12/10/2007 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home