Monday, April 21, 2008

Super Size Me Angus

While attending her Jack and Jill, a drunk Andrea made me feel guilty for not taking advantage of free food, so I decided to make up for my past transgressions by overcompensating and taking advantage of this tremendous deal from Harvey's.

Let me explain what I mean by "overcompensate" and "take advantage".

When I first heard about this through Teresa, she mentioned it was being abused by customers and Harvey's was no longer accepting it. With my parents away in Japan leaving little food in the house, Kitty working 100 hour workweeks and my sister back from NYC, I tried scoring some free burgers. I went on the RFD forums this weekend and saw that a lot of people were reporting success with the coupon. I read some RFD forum members had even ordered a puny 50 cent gravy and got their free $4.79 Angus burger!

I'm not going to be that cheap. But I am going to be cheap and GET IT EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR LUNCH AND DINNER THIS WEEK. Yes, I'm Super Sizing myself for a week. I'm planning on only ordering the $1.99 salad, for a total of $2.09 for a Burger and Salad. What an awesome deal! I've already had 3 straight meals of Harvey's and I'm not sick of it yet. (Harvey's is coincidentally my favourite burger joint).

I looked up the nutritional info and if I eat 2 Angus and 2 salads a day (plus miscellaneous fruit I regularly eat), the caloric intake is surprisingly only about 1500 calories. Surprisingly, my favourite sauces, BBQ sauce and Buffalo hot sauce are some of the worse ones nutritionally. (My favourite soft drink, root beer, also happens to be the worse soft drink). But the worse part is 2 Angus burgers with toppings accounts for 70% of the recommended daily intake of fat, 100% recommended of saturated and trans fat, almost 100% of the recommended daily sodium intake, and 60% of recommended cholesterol intake. Unfortunately, Harvey's nutrition chart is out of date and the this new Angus Burger under promotion is suppose to be "bigger and better". "Bigger and Better" = more death. So, while the overall caloric intake is not high (~2000 is daily recommended), it will be a diet relatively high in fat and sodium. I'm not sure what will happen to my overall health as a result of this diet. Any thoughts?

If you would like to partake in this deal, print the pdf I link to, or email me and I can forward you a jpg copy (Thanks Teresa!). I plan on blogging the result at the end of the week when the coupon expires. The good news is after overcompensating like this, I won't have to dye my pubes.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow really? only 100%?!?!? i'd seriously have assumed there'd be more... and do u add any salad dressing? but damn, now i'm hungry :*(

-ak

4/22/2008 3:49 AM  
Blogger Nelson said...

You are surprised at the 100% saturated and trans fat? I looked up McDonald's, and their Big Mac has slightly over 100%. They have a trick on their nutritional information and list saturated and trans fat separately. Overall, a Big Mac has about equivalent nutritional value, except for an increase in saturated and trans fat. It also helps because I'm not eating fries/onion rings with my meal.

No, generally I have been eating plain salads, but I might consider the salad dressing soon. I typically only use half the package of dressing and pick a lighter one, like italian, balsamic vinaigrette or sesame. Unfortunately, the Harvey salad isn't very fresh, so it isn't that enjoyable.

4/22/2008 10:32 AM  
Blogger Matt W said...

Damn blogger ate my comment.

Anyway, good post Nels, I would like to try one of those bad boys now except that there aren't any Harvey's close to my work anymore (Yonge + Bloor). Both of the nearby Bloor ones were closed (1 @ Bedford, 1 @ Yonge) due to monster condos being built.

Also, again with the pubes. And again in a food thread. Fail!

4/22/2008 5:41 PM  
Blogger supastar k3v said...

It's not in true super size spirit unless you also get the 50¢ gravy to go with your salad

4/22/2008 8:20 PM  
Blogger dre said...

Yeah, your pubes comment is forever embedded in my brain that one of the first things I had to say to you in my state at that time was that unfortunate word.

Oh and I told you my clubbing story that you're not supposed to tell anyone about except I'm sure I was loud enough for all to hear anyway haha...

No more binge drinking for me!!!

4/22/2008 11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmm, mind looking up how much fat grilled chicken burger has at both mcd and harvey's? although they have a variety of chicken burger (grilled, fried, and something else i think). those are what i usually order at mcdonald's and harvey's (chicken burgers that is), but i doubt they're any healthier with the addition of extra white sauce ><

and for some reason i thought italian wasn't good, but i guess i remembered wrong.

-ak

4/26/2008 4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home