Tuesday, July 09, 2002

Just got back from an awesome camping trip, as you can probably tell from Mike's entry. I won't go through the whole trip, because he did a pretty good job of covering it and for an even more thorough account, you can read Carol's monster blog entry of 2000 words. That's the size of a high school english essay!!! But her account is so entertaining, Mike and I can only dream of writing like her.

Onto the trip: The ride up was ok, but we had to be careful, because the bikes almost came off the rack! When I looked back, I saw that only one of the bikes was still on the rack and the only thing holding it from coming loose was the middle binding. We fixed that up, but I had to keep on checking on it for the rest of the trip. And of course Cary was asleep for most of it. I have a disproportionately large number of pictures of Cary sleeping in my car. Surprisingly, for one of them he is awake in my car, but in the very next picture he's sleeping again.

That first night we played some frisbee on the beach, which was a lot of fun... Mike and I almost pushed Richard into to the lake, but we were nice and just gave him a scare. Then we did a very guy thing with the girls... sit around talking in a circle and tossing a ball around. Of course all the guys sat with their legs crossed or closed to protect their crown jewels. No injuries that day, especially since the girls didn't really understand the true entertainment value of that game.

The second day's weather was not as nice. The weather man had predicted a sunny day, but it was overcast the whole day. It turns out that it was overcast from the forest fire smoke from Quebec. At least it was warm though.

That morning we (Mike, Richard and I) went mountain/off-road biking, which was the highlight of the trip. It was so much fun! We went biking on a huge slab of rock, where Rick messed up his bike pretty good. We had to go to the Ranger station and get it fixed up (by physically bashing his gear with a wrench...just like real engineers). Then we took our bikes on a hiking trail, which was awesome because it wasn't designed for bikes. We had to carry our bikes through sections of it. Other sections had sharp drops right beside the trail and near the end, Mike almost led us over a cliff! Richard fell once and Mike had to jump off his bike once, but other then that, no major injuries. And when you do this type of biking, it requires a certain amount of technique. You want to keep your pedals off the ground so that you can avoid the obstacles, but at the same time you have to keep on pedaling, or you won't be able to get over the obstacles. Anyway, it was a lot of fun, and I hope Richard will have doubles for me (stupid me, I didn't bring a camera on the bike trail because I didn't want to break mine). So by the end, we had biked over 20 km, averaging 12 km/h with about 1.5 hours of actual biking time (yes, I have a computer on my bike and yes, I know how geeky I am). Lot's of fun though, can't wait till next time!

That afternoon we were playing some catch and since we didn't have enough gloves for the number of guys there, I came up with the idea to play running bases. Oh man, that is such a grade school game. I hadn't played in such a long time that I didn't even remember it's proper name. At first I called it "Running the Bases," which sounds so gay. But it was a lot of fun, because we played on the beach which makes sliding safer.

After being in the lake, I naturally wanted to take a shower to get rid of that lake smell. When I got to the shower, I discovered I had forgotten my soap at home, and my little bottle of shampoo was almost out. Oh well, I hadn't intended to take a shower that weekend anyway, so at least i got a nice rinse, which was better than nothing. Hopefully no one noticed, but if you did, sorry for the smell :) (plus, most asian people don't have much B.O., and I fall into that category, which makes life so much easier:) )

We (Matt, Carol and Mike) had a very entertaining ride home. Topics of conversation ranged from comparing girls in Carol's Instyle magazine, motorcycles, adoptions and babies, and the similarities between fat chicks and scooters (ask Matt Wong for the answer). For the whole trip I was hurrying home to try to make the second softball game of my doubleheader, which I made just in time. It was my first game of the season, and it was fun, but unfortunately we lost (to tsun-kit's team, my roommate from last term). I really hope to make the rest of the games in the season now, since I've already missed so many!

Anyway, just wanted to thank everyone who helped organize the camping trip, especially Ava, Steph and Cary for all the work they put into it. It was tonnes of fun!

Nelson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home