Friday, January 24, 2003

First Lesson

Take Care of Yourself

Well that really does sound obvious, doesn't it? Very true...even more so at work. They were nice enough to lend me a laptop, which they just handed to me on my first day. So what was next? Nothing, practically all the people at the office left to go on site (at the airport) and left only a few people behind. So i spent that first day setting up my laptop, which meant formatting and installing everything on it. That actually took me about 10 hours to complete. So I used the time to read up on Microsoft's .NET initiative. Some interesting ideas, which i won't bore you with, but it does seem like Microsoft is trying to squash every language (ie Java) out there. .NET basically reduces all the languages to just a difference in syntax. So what's the point of different languages if the only difference is the syntax? There is none really....and that's why Microsoft is pushing C# so aggressively. C#, an invention of Microsoft, is something they want to see dominate the maketplace. And now I really understand the implications of Waterloo whoring itself for money to Microsoft by letting them teach C# to the frosh. Really quite sad actually, but enough about the programming world.

I happen to work right across from First Markham Place. Kitty and I hung out there yesterday where we got our second sticker picture. Everything happens so quickly in there, and there's so much pressure! Luckily the picture turned out better than last time, and I think I may be getting the hang of it...haha, it actually takes practice to use those picture booths properly, who would've thought?

One last thing. The drive to and from work is killer. I spend two hours a day stuck in traffic. I really, really hate it. Such a waste of time. I was thinking of getting a some tape to learn a language, although I doubt those things work, but doesn't hurt to try. I really should get a voting thing going on my webpage....then I could get you to vote on what language to learn! So if you have a suggestion, ICQ me.

--Nelson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home