Wednesday, November 20, 2002



Krispy Kreme

Remember all the hoopla when the first Krispy Kreme opened in Mississauga? Well there isn't that much hoopla anymore. The proof? Well they opened the third one in Kitchener (the 2nd one is in Richmond Hill) on tuesday. Of course for Grand Openings, they like to have them in the middle of the night, and this one was no different. This one opened at 5:30 AM...and of course I was there when it opened. That night also happened to be the Leonids, a meteor shower, which was the most plentiful it was going to be in our lifetime, but unfortunately, it was too cloudy to see anything. Anyway, after arriving at around 5:15 and having to park in the next parking lot (a Zeller's parking lot) we got in the line. The line itself was actually pretty short. I guess people aren't that excited by a new Krispy Kreme or maybe Kitchener has a much smaller population. After getting in line, there was some cheerleading, prize giveaways and waiting around in the cold, but not long after, we were in and got our free donut! I actually didn't end up buying any, but the free one was good. Kitty got two free ones! Edmond bought a box and ate the whole thing on the car ride back. Yes, he eats a lot. Anyway, for some pictures, check out my roomate Kevin's blog.



      Yet another joy of student living: Our water heater broke yesterday. We are left with freezing water in which to take our showers in :(

I of course can't stand taking freezing cold showers. I tried to take one yesterday, but I couldn't will myself to step into the freezing cold water. I think the water takes the temperature of the outside ground. And that's damn cold. So instead, I went over to my friend Huy's place, who luckily only lives about 5 houses away to take a shower. We called up the water heater company today, and they said they should have one in by tomorrow. I really hope they do come.

Actually, this experience made me think a little about student living. Yes, it is without a doubt, ghetto. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I'd like to believe my experiences now, will make me really appreciate whatever future living arrangements I'll have. (assuming that it's better than the present) Even now, whenever I go home on the weekends, I notice immediately that it is much nicer. Little things that you wouldn't even appreciate if you never lived away from home, like the smell of a home. My home in Toronto smells very pleasant, while my home in waterloo is not as nice. Something that I only really notice when I move back and forth from one to another. As Einstein once said, it's all relative. There is some chance of people becoming spoiled without some grounding in their life. Not to say YOU are or will be, but just saying.

It all fits into my belief that it's good to broaden your range of experiences. And be brave enough to really follow through with it. Only then can you really know what you like or dislike, what you would like in the future and how to direct your current life to achieve those goals.

Anyway, gotta go wash dishes in some freezing cold water. And maybe today I'll suffer through it with a smile.

-- Nelson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home