Sunday, January 26, 2003



Movies Galore

Strange, but after chilling so long while unemployed, i wanted to chill some more this weekend. I was feeling quite tired, especially from driving to work. The drive is so grueling...one hour one way in never ending traffic. Carol suggested using the 407....something to seriously consider if it'll save a lot of time. You know the saying, time is money.

So luckily when some of the guys wanted to go out for a movie on fri, Cary was nice enough to drive. Ended up going to Alice Fazooli's. Nice restaurant, felt like a place to bring a date, but our group was 5 guys. Huy came out with Rick, Keith and Cary and I. We caught a movie afterward (using our free passes....i burned through 30+ of those things over the last year), Confessions of a Dangerious Mind, George Clooney's directorial debut. Interesting movie to say the least. Some real belly laughs, some implausibilites, weirdness throughout, over-directed and definitely entertaining. It was so strange watching Clooney's work, because it looks so much like a Soderbergh film. He was obviously influenced by him and I guess it's a good thing, cause Soderbergh is one of my favourite directors. Clooney seems to have a little more fun with the whole thing though. Can't wait to see his next movie.

Oh yeah, got to ride in Huy's car. It's a 1985 Nissan 300ZX. It's so cool....Because it talks!! Just like K.I.T.T from Nightrider!!! It says things like the lights are on, and the parking brake is on in an even digitized voice. It has wings that open up on top. The interior instrumentation is all green with a bar graphs for RPM and throttle, an accelerometer, transmission voltage and all sorts of other things that you don't normally see. It's a pretty fast car too (it is a sports car after all). Anyway, it was fun to ride in and it would probably be even more fun to drive, but i need to learn manual first...

Caught two movies on sat...an anime flick, Jin-Roh and M.Night Shyamalan's Signs. Signs was pretty good i guess...Shyamalan is so good at creating atmosphere and suspense, but his plots could be a bit better. I think he has to expand his film making in scope a little to get further as a filmmaker.
Jin-Roh was a little weird and messed up, like most anime. I got a little confused in the story unfortunately. One thing I noticed was how different the movie was culturally. The characters and their motivations are so different from those in western movies. Their actions and attitudes are sometimes incomprehensible to me, which is a strange thing to say, because I'm an Asian. But I grew up here and I suppose I'm more used to watching Western films, whether that's good or bad. Anyway enough about my banananess.

Or not....While on the same thought, I am pretty asian too. I must say, I prefer chinese food most of the time. I went to go get my hair cut at an asian place and adjusted my glasses at a Chinese optical this weekend. And my mom went to T&T supermarket twice this weekend!

And ironically enough, I like basketball a lot, which is practically the most popular sport in China (next to table tennis of course, which i also like). Kinda messed up since Asians are on average the shortest race, but we have produced Yao Ming. Have I mentioned he's my favourite player in the L? My fantasy basketball team is named "Ming Dynasty" (surprisingly enough, I didn't go with a team name of BLING BLING like last year). Oh yeah, caught the Raptor's game today....Vince is back! And he played well enough for a win against Sacramento. What an exciting game!

Which is in complete contrast to the Super Bowl, what a bore... One thing that always pissed me off was having to watch the Canadian commercials, which are inferior to the one's on the American channel. If only I had cable....

(...I'd watch sports 24-7)

:)

--Nelson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home