Sunday, February 29, 2004

Mac Takes on UT Law...

When I was accepted to U of T law in December, I soon found out that if I went, I would definitely not be alone. It turned out there were seven of us Artsci's in the same boat. Seven! That's more than 10 percent of my year! Although not all of us are going to go, the seven of us took a pleasant road trip down the QEW to check out their open house on Friday (Carol was also there).

I was going to stay at home and study at first, but the rest of them kind of persuaded me to go down together to check it out. We were all kind of one big family in first year, but even now, we still like to do events together. So I was like, what the heck, I'll go down, and leave early and I can still get back to get my work done.

I was glad I went... If for nothing more than just to hang out with some people I hadn't seen in a while. I've been more of an economics student than an Artsci this year (which isn't a bad thing), but it's just been different than what I've grown used to. Law school is a lot less intimidating when you're down there with 7 others. We were definitely the worst-dressed students there -- and we loved it. I think my dressing has gone even more casual than I was in high school -- Most days I just go to class in track pants these days! It was amusing for us to see so many people dressed up and ready to make an impression. Of course, with alumni like David Miller, Dalton McGuinty and Paul Martin, there's going to be a lot of ambition in the room. Although a couple of us swore that law school wasn't going to change them, I think I'm going to need some new clothes... Imagine Dalton McGuinty in sweatpants!

Later at the "schmooze", (where incidentally, the Law School provided an open wine bar) former Artsci's were coming out of the woodwork. We saw several of the people whom we once looked up to at Mac, and who were now upper years in law school... It's just amazing how everyone in the program just keeps running into each other. It's almost like family in a way -- our cultish nature can seem a little overbearing sometimes, but everyone just puts forth so much effort to take care of and mentor the younger ones behind them. Hopefully, I'll be able to do the same. We even met the dean of admissions, who jokingly asked "So, have we left out any of you who applied?"

Needless to say, I think the Arts and Science Programme has been a pretty unique educational experience. In addition to about ten going on to law, I'm confident that there will be 20 people in my year that have gone on or will go on to Med School. I know others interested in teacher's college, or further graduate work. Overall, it's a program that has forced me to think in different ways, using all sorts of different disciplines. I was forced into several courses that ran counter to my interests (namely, bio, chem, physics, stats). I hung out with and worked with an extremely diverse group of people -- although with a 2:1 girl:guy ratio was a little strange at first for me to get used to always hanging out with girls (I was down at U of T with 5 girls and a gay guy). But I know that wherever I end up, I'll be sure to run into an Arts and Science alumni in the years ahead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home