Wednesday, December 27, 2006

My wii is broken [Update 1]

Good news is that my penis still works, despite the best efforts of Mike Lim who sacked me on the cruise. I got sacked twice on my cruise, once by myself on the rock climbing harness (note to self, do not lean forward while dangling) and the other time by Mike as I was sleeping on the beach, but I digress. The bad news is that my Nintendo Wii is broken. It's horrible timing too, since I'll likely have some free time over the holidays, but can't spend it wiiing (is that three i's or just two? The best answer is that I shouldn't be randomly turning nouns into verbs).

I went to turn on the Wii after setting up the HD antenna (it's powered/amplified one) for the TV. I had gotten it for my dad for Christmas. Mind you, I was turning on the Wii the day after Christmas. HDTV is mesmerizing when you first get it. I was watching crap shows/movies, just because it was in HD. It's surprising how much more interesting television news is in HD. Unfortunately I can only pick up five HD channels....CBC, CTV, CityTV, SunTV, Omni2 (WB/UPN from Buffalo cuts in and out). I was hoping for a few more, but I haven't fiddled with the antenna yet. Anyway, getting off topic again.

When I turned on the Wii the power light goes from red to green, but I get no video output on the screen. Discs can load and unload properly. But the most worrisome symptom is the fact that Wiimotes don't sync. This indicates to me that the Wii has bootup issues, likely pointing to a hardware failure of some sort or firmware corruption. Without opening the box, there is not much more I can do for diagnosis. I just bought a Wii component cable today, and I'll try that out to make sure it isn't some sort of video cable issue. Don't think it is though.

So pissed now. I finally have my component cable, some free time and I can't play. I've been waiting for the component cable even since it came out and I finally got my hands on one. I found it in an obscure EB Games shop in Kitchener as they were sold out in Toronto and most Kitchener/Waterloo locations. I was waiting specifically for the Madcatz ones because it only costs $25 as compared to the ASID ones, which cost $50 at FutureShop.

So I called Nintendo support today and will go through the repair process. They gave me the option of getting it repaired (and hopefully saving my save information) or getting a new unit (and losing my saved files). Unfortunately, the repair process takes 3+ weeks. The replacement unit method takes about a week (the time it takes to ship a unit to me). At least it's free, because it's still under warranty. They have a standard warranty of 1 year, followed by 3 extra months if you register (which I did as soon as I discovered the problem). Worse case is if my flash is corrupted and my personal data is lost as well.

We'll see how it goes with Nintendo. At least their customer service rep was friendly, efficient and informative. So to anyone expecting me to bring it around on the 29th, I won't be able to :(

[Update 1] speaking of getting sacked, check out the following video (thanks roz):

2 Comments:

Blogger Cary said...

:'(

12/28/2006 3:09 PM  
Blogger Adrian said...

I don't know whether to cry about your wii or laugh at the video. Your blog is hilarious!

1/03/2007 11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home