Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Wii Firesale

Anyone ever use Red Flag Deals? I happened to find for myself something that would be typical for RFD. This week there is a flyer misprint that showed 2 Wii games for $40! Incredible! Absolutely INCREDIBLE! That's like a 3 for 1 deal!

Long story short (email me if you want details), I picked up 4 more games to double my collection: WarioWare, Trauma Center: Second Opinion, Sonic and the Secret Rings and SSX Blur. At that price I could pick up more and resell them at a profit, but I'm not that cheap...or I'm just lazy. I think I've bought all the worthwhile games, although Tiger Woods, Excite Truck, Elebits or Marvel Alliance may be worth buying. At $20, you can't go wrong...or can you?

But the best part about all this is that Cooking Mama comes out this week! For those that don't know, "YOU COOK DELICIOUS WORLDWIDE DISHES. MAKE FOOD NOT WAR." Originally it was slated to be released in April or May, but it looks like it'll hit sooner (it was a launch title in Japan I think). Unfortunately, it's been rated very low, so I will have to realign my expectations. The biggest complaint is the inelegant controls. They basically ported the DS version and tacked on Wii controls. The article says if they fix up the controls for the next version, it could be a classic. More opportunities to Iron Chef FTW!

Other Wii games coming out this week:
Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWII
Cooking Mama: Cook Off
Kororinpa: Marble Mania
The Godfather: Blackhand Edition
TMNT: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Wing Island

I'll likely pick up Godfather as my second game if the deal still works. The deal also applies to Gamecube games and I'm considering picking up Super Smash Brothers Melee and Mariokart Double Dash as well. The problem with buying GameCube games is that I'd have to pick up (4) Gamecube controllers as well :(

What games do you think I should pick up?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Matt W said...

Ha ha, I wish that the deal was for another Wii controller. Now you have more games that we can't play 4 player on... J/K.

I'm impressed that you can snag video games at $20. Honestly, that's the probably the threshold for where I wouldn't consider either ignoring the game or finding a downloaded copy. $20 for a few hours of entertainment is really quite fair and I wish that more games cost that much. I think this is especially true for Wii games where they are designed to be casual and may not have much depth to them. For example, even if CM was not that good, at $20, it's not like you've thrown away a lot of money. Compare that to a sucky PS3 or X360 game that may cost you like $60-80 and turn out to be garbage.

In terms of what to buy next, I don't care, get whatever entertains you. Generally, playing Wii games with a bunch of people is pretty fun regardless of the title. I dunno about trauma though...I tried it out and didn't enjoy it as much as the DS version. you basically have to have an incredibly steady hand and it's very different than with a stylus where at least you have some resistance on the screen.

3/21/2007 11:14 AM  
Blogger Jerry Hung said...

Ask your landlord (the female one), she knows all about RFD, secretly (or that she just doesn't want to admit)

I'm quite known on RFD on the other hand, very sad :(

You are lucky, those 2 for $40 are pricing errors, stated in RFD and many other deal websites, and Zellers stores too

I am kinda glad I can't find a Wii yet, otherwise I'd kick myself for not getting good deals on Wii accessories :)

3/21/2007 11:22 AM  
Blogger Nelson said...

Everytime i've been to a store, I haven't been able to find more controllers. In retrospect, when Will had extra ones, I should have bought two sets instead of just the one set from him.

In total, after getting the 4th controller set, I will have spent $240 on controllers alone. Yikes!

I tried trauma center last night and it is fun! Even though it's a rehash of the DS version, I haven't played the DS version, so it's all new to me. The story and characters seem engaging as well (read: hot nurses). In terms of having a steady hand, I found that I had no problems and neither did Mike (my roomate), but we're only on the 1st set of stories. It's partly a function of how familiar you are with using the Wiimote in pointing situations. Having a steady hand to perform surgery sounds realistic, no?

Jerry, I like RFD, but I don't surf it everyday. I rely on my sister, richard or my cousin robert, who seem to surf on it everyday to get my information on deals. I didn't see the 2 for $40 wii games thread on RFD, but I just took a quick look and was probably looking in the wrong area.

3/21/2007 12:53 PM  
Blogger dre said...

hey is the deal still on???

3/21/2007 6:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Get Marvel Alliance and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!

3/21/2007 10:56 PM  
Blogger Nelson said...

From the reviews, TMNT is a kids game, so I probably won't get it. Maybe worth a rental in the future, b/c you can beat in about 3 hours.

Marvel Alliance I'm interested in, but unfortunately at FS it's priced at $70 and isn't included in the deal :(

3/23/2007 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home