Monday, February 26, 2007

Heroes/The Departed

Does anyone watch Heroes? I started watching the show a few weeks ago and so far it's been a really good series. I just hope they are able to keep up the momentum. The last episode, which aired on Sunday for some strange reason was especially good with some emotional impact.

SPOILERS AHEAD:
I think the easiest solution to concealing Claire's ability is for the Haitian to just erase the memory of Claire's father's boss. And if necessary erase Parkman's and Ted as well as needed. Also, Hiro and Ando's side quest with Hope seems completely pointless, doesn't it? I also think they are setting up a showdown between Peter Petrelli and Sylar, their abilities are about equal, so that'll be interesting.
END SPOILERS.

Has anyone noticed a recent influx of users in Facebook? Recently, people that I didn't expect have been popping up on Facebook. Perhaps it's really expanding now. SO if you're not on, join now!

Oscar's was this past Sunday. I usually organize a pool and this year I didn't realize it was approaching so quickly! I'll try to catch it next year. I only caught a tiny bit of it on TV at work, where I happened to catch a bit of the Heroes episode and therefore knew it aired on Sunday. I haven't watched many of the Oscar movies this year, but I have watched the Departed. What ticked me off during the 5 minutes of the Oscar's I watched was that it was introduced as a movie from Japan.

I really liked The Departed, but I'm not sure if it is deserving a Best Picture. It's a very entertaining movie, with well developed characters and very polished, but is that enough for Best Picture? It seemed like a very commercial movie without enough depth for Best Picture.

I watched the HK version and I liked both, but I prefer the Scorsese one. So many (chinese) people say the HK version is far superior, but I think it has something to with which one you experience first. They also say they stole everything from Infernal Affairs, but it's suppose to since it was based on it and had bought the rights to it. It's a remake, so it's good that it doesn't drift too far away from the source material. So what if they copy scenes/lines, I don't see any reason to not copy scenes when it worked well in the HK version - I see it more of paying homage to the original.

I found the HK one too hurried and the characters were a little underdeveloped. The Scorsese one took more time to develop the characters and setup the story which made it better. I like how they combined the gf in one person as well. Plus, it was enjoyable to watch so many superstar actors go at it. Actually, the same could be said of the HK version, which I also thought was superbly acted as well. My only complaint in the Scorsese movie was that the Chinese mainlanders were speaking Cantonese...a gross oversight. And Jack Nicholson overacted just a tad.

Tim's favourite Director, Scorsese finally won for Best Director, which perhaps not his greatest work, but good enough. Anyway, I'll probably pick up the DVD since I liked it, even though I downloaded it this weekend and watched it again on sunday :)

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Depends on location - ppl in guangdong actually speak fluent cantonese.... And just curious, how many IAs have you seen? Seemed like he combined parts of the trilogy into one movie.... and the ending was just.... stupid....

-KM

2/27/2007 1:04 AM  
Blogger mbagladiator said...

chock me up as one of those Chinese guys who preferred Infernal Affairs. However, I did enjoy The Departed very much and am happy for Scorcese's long-overdue recognition.

2/27/2007 10:52 AM  
Blogger supastar k3v said...

I don't think remakes or translations should be eligible for the big awards like Best Picture or Best Director. It feels like plagarism.

Also, in the chinese version, the actors end up playing the same type of characters in every movie so you can draw on their stereotypes from other movies. No need for character development yay

2/27/2007 1:42 PM  
Blogger Nelson said...

I just doubt that people representing the Chinese military would be speaking Cantonese or doubt that they were from Guangdong.
I've only watched the first 2 IAs, and they do seem to combine them a little bit. I have the 3rd one, just haven't watched it yet.

I agree that the last shot of the movie wasn't great; it felt like a cheap throw-in gag.

The point about drawing on previous stereotypes, may be a good or bad thing, but when I watched IA, it just jumps straight into the action scene (drug deal), before I had even figured out exactly who was who. Maybe I need to watch more HK movies so I can get these stereotypes. :)

PS wow, I didn't realize how long the post about The Departed was. I probably should have made a new entry.

2/27/2007 7:30 PM  
Blogger Cary said...

I only managed to watch the first 5 minutes of IA. It was moving so quickly, and I honestly couldn't tell the chinese guys apart!!! Gaghgh.

3/01/2007 9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, hmmm, i dun remember much from the IAs but i dun recall them confusing - I think u guys need to watch more asian movies, heh

-KM

3/01/2007 8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home