Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Computer Woes

My computer is dying a slow death. I am currently blogging from my computer while it is in "Safe Mode with Networking". I have shit ass resolution and colours and no audio or video.

Recently, I blogged about my video card acting up. Cary was nice enough to pass along his slightly defective video card. The defective part about it is the TVin part of the card. I wanted to play some Wii at home, and since the living room is in a disarry due to the water leak, I could only play on my computer. So Richard had a spare TVin card lying around and gave it to me. This was the beginning of the end.

I go to install the noname TVin card and then I try booting my computer. Won't boot properly because of video card error. Uninstall noname TVin card, still no improvement. Whatever I try, the computer won't boot. I install my old broken card, and it boots, but then when windows loads, I get no video output (blank screen or boots into windows but randomly reboots soon thereafter). The only way I can do anything is boot up in safe mode.

Anyway, seems like something is wrong with all the video cards I have or more likely there is motherboard board problem, specifically with the AGP port. Or maybe it's a power supply problem or power circuitry problem, since I often get into this strange state where my computer won't even start booting. I have to unplug the power connector from my mobo and reinsert it to get it going again. I can't explain that one.

So it looks like I''ll need to get a new computer (more money down the drain). I'll have to do the research from my safe mode computer :( I've already started talking about video cards with Barry (hopefully he can hook me up!). Anyone got any computer advice?

So sorry Cary, I may have killed the rest of the 9600aiw card. Richard, I'm not touching your TVin card ever again. I'm so unhappy now, I feel like I've lost a limb or something to that effect. My main source of entertainment is my computer. I don't have TV (cable) in the 'loo. I can't even watch torrented 24 or Heroes on this computer anymore. :_-(

I don't think I've caught a break this year; I've only had bad luck. Sigh.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Cary said...

Um, I guess now would be a bad time to discuss how much I was going to give you that card for ...

I think Chris was looking for a new machine as well. Look him up.

2/21/2007 12:18 AM  
Blogger supastar k3v said...

Time to get a DS!

2/21/2007 9:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The living room is fine! Just move the nest chair back or something. Though you might want to avoid leaving the wii close to the outside wall...

And you can watch your torrents through the xbox.

2/22/2007 12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmm, u still gonna use ur ram? i need a ram upgrade ><

-KM

2/22/2007 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home