Monday, March 12, 2007

Frustration

Argh. I was looking forward to getting some Warcraft III in tonight after work. I was even the first one on, which is unusual, because I'm usually last. There was the possibility of seeing three new players tonight, Matt, Andrea and Ernest. That is exciting!

But then we started playing some 4v4AT. And we lost 7 in a row. That's 2.5 hours of straight losing. Fuck. That is really frustrating. One team I suspect was hacking, and the rest of the games weren't even that close. Argh. Maybe it's the lost hour of sleep, but it's probably because I am more rusty than I thought. We played really poorly, no teamwork, no aggression, no confidence...well, at the very least I know I didn't play great. I think 7 losses in a row is a record. Bah.

Anyway, put a real damper on the evening, when I was looking forward to it so much. I guess that's the problem with playing online, sometimes you lose. I don't mean to discourage new players, but this losing feeling is not pleasant. Hopefully, this means that the next time we play we'll be matched up with noobs, instead of all the pros. Battle.net is like that - one day it'll keep matching you with higher skilled opponents and the next it'll keep matching you with lower skilled opponents.

Anway, at the very end, at least I got a game of DOTA in and we won, so at least there was some positive. Sorry for the boring post, I feel frustated...and my clicking finger is hurting. I guess what it really means is that I have to sharpen my skills with more practice. Sigh.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Nelson said...

Yeah, we'll play DOTA together, no worries, it'll be fun :)

3/13/2007 12:46 AM  
Blogger Cary said...

What is 4V4AT?

(I don't get the AT part)

3/13/2007 2:42 AM  
Blogger Nelson said...

AT stands for Arranged Team, as opposed to RT, Random Team. Arranged team means you have personally invited your teammates to play a game. Random team is when you play with strangers on your team and well as against the other team.

For example, Victor will invite Kevin, Chobo and I to play a game of 4v4 and then we'll wait for b.net to match up with a game of other 4 player teams. If I'm on alone, I'll choose random team 3v3 and I'll wait until battle.net matches me with 5 other strangers (2 on my team, 3 on the other) of similar skill level to play

This means playing AT, the quality of play is usually better because your teammates are of a known skill level, while playing RT you could get bad teammates (or the other team gets bad teammates). After you make it to a certain level of play it's rare to get matched with really bad teammates.

3/13/2007 9:35 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

That's why war3 sucks...
Go back to DOTA !!

3/15/2007 3:23 PM  
Blogger supastar k3v said...

says the guy that quit dota

3/15/2007 6:10 PM  
Blogger dre said...

i still haven't ran my warcraft yet after it was installed lol

3/15/2007 10:27 PM  
Blogger Nelson said...

Ernest,

Once you play a bit of RT and get to higher level, you get less of the "pure chance". Generally the players get better and more consistent at that point. Also, unfortunately I split up my wins into two accounts, so I have 150 wins in my other account :(

3/15/2007 11:25 PM  
Blogger Nelson said...

Andrea,

I hope my post didn't scare you off of it :)

Same with you, Matt!

3/15/2007 11:25 PM  
Blogger whoami said...

Apparently you ppl didn't read my comments b4.... screw war3, pick up wow. Just try it for a month... $20 is all u need....

-KM

3/16/2007 2:45 AM  
Blogger Nelson said...

Keith, didn't you quit WoW? How come you're still encouraging us?

3/16/2007 9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

doesn't mean i won't pick it up again :/

-KM

3/17/2007 12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home