Tuesday, May 15, 2007

NYC Bound

I'm heading down to New York City for the long weekend. We don't have any specific plans yet, so maybe you can help me. I've been to New York at least twice in my life and have done most of the major touristy type activities. I need some ideas of what to do:

  • I want to visit the Nintendo World Store, just to see what it's like.
  • I really wanted to see a baseball game, but it's the subway series that weekend and tickets are sold out.
  • I'm definitely going to Katz's deli.
  • My sister suggested I go to Iron Chef Japan's restaurant, but apparently you need to make reservations 4 weeks ahead.
  • I tried getting Letterman/Leno/SNL/Conan O'Brien tickets, but those are tough to get and the best chance is to wait outside the studios the day of.
  • I've never been to a Broadway show, so Kitty is arranging for us to go see Rent.
  • Kottke is always talking about a good Noodle Bar, so maybe that'll be worth checking out
  • Museum(s). Any recommendation? I don't think I've been to many of the museums in NYC actually, but it seems like it might be too time consuming for such a short trip
  • I would like to see the World Trade Center Site.
  • Central Park is very large and I would like to visit, but I'm not sure what exactly to see.
  • I'm likely going shopping too....one guess as to how that got into the schedule.
  • Tim and Judy will be in NYC as well, so I'll likely see them at some point.

Anyone got any advice for me?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Hung said...

Been to NYC about 10+ times from 2004~2005, couple suggestions

Museums (I liked them)
-MOMA (free on Friday night)
-The Metropolitan Museum of Art
-Museum of Natural History (the one in movie Night at the museum)

Central Park is good everywhere (right beside Metropolitan too anyway)

WTC site was, well, no surprise there. Visit Centry 21 for shopping too

If you have time, I'd recommend taking Staten Island Ferry (free) too, you get to Brooklyn bridge and Statue of Liberty, without paying to go onto Liberty island

No food suggestion from me, as I've only been to Upper West side restaurants (some great pho's though). And great Korean food in Queen's

5/16/2007 10:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

POKEMON CENTER!!!

5/16/2007 10:15 AM  
Blogger supastar k3v said...

yeah Kottke talks about momofuku or something like that. I looked it up, but it just looks like a Ramen noodle bar, which there are a ton of on Yonge. I think it's another case of white people not being exposed to asian culture.

5/16/2007 3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know lots of people who loved Rent, but I have to admit that I'm not such a big fan. You should definitely check out Avenue Q. I also hear Wicked and The Producers are really good, but I haven't seen them.

There's a half-price day-of ticket booth in Times Square. Try googling it because it opens at something like 11am and you have to get there fairly soon after it opens if you want to get half-decent seats.

For partying, I was going to tell you the areas we partied when I was there Fall, but I can't remember. Somewhere near Houston street? There's lots of expensive clubs around Time Square, but I preferred the more college-town-feeling areas. Also, definitely the Meat Packing district. Bars and clubs are open until 4:30am. Good times!

Have fun!

Jeff

5/18/2007 12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home