Thursday, May 31, 2007

Tale of Two (softball) Cities

Last summer, I had a great time playing organized softball. I was on the same team as four of my high school friends, which made it even more fun. After being unable to convince any of my friends to join again this year, I decided to make up for it by joining two different leagues!

I joined a CCSA team with Joanne and a MCBCSL team with my sister and Andrea.

The problem is that one league is in Mississauga and the other is in Scarborough. So far, the schedule seems to work out in my favour in that there are very few (zero?) conflicts. CCSA starts much earlier (mid May), while MCBCSL starts late June. MCBCSL games are usually Saturdays, while my CCSA games in July are usually on Sundays. Looks like I'll be in Toronto every weekend and doing a lot of driving!

Another big difference between the leagues is the level of competition. MCBCSL is open to people of all ages, so I'll be playing against high school students. Our "no practice" team with older players will likely have some advantage. Our "no practice" team last year did well, but came up short in the championship game. That's a whole other blog entry for another time. In CCSA, the players are older and all hardcore...even the girls. As a result, the defence is generally better and also means fewer at -bats. At my first CCSA game last weekend, I only batted twice in an 8 inning game! We also have a large team, so this could have an effect.

The only negative besides the travel is that I won't have as much time for other summer activities. Oh well. Regardless, I'm really, really looking forward to playing softball this summer!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger dre said...

you forgot the word and. "my sister AND andrea" lol

yeah softball!!!

6/01/2007 12:23 AM  
Blogger Matt W said...

Yeah okay, good thing for Andrea's comment. I was pretty sure you guys weren't siblings.

6/01/2007 12:27 AM  
Blogger Nelson said...

yeah, oops! thanks for catching my mistake! Matt, only "pretty sure"?

And Andrea, what's this about you being engaged Andrea? hahaha, j/k :)

6/01/2007 10:08 AM  
Blogger Cary said...

Man, I miss softball.

6/01/2007 5:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Played softball last weekend in Stratford. It was an OMA softball tournament and I played for the Windsor team. The windsor team for the past 5 years have come up short, losing to Barrie in the finals each time. Until this year! Westbrook and I joined and we took them to the championship! I'll post the pics sometime on Facebook. It was a blast! And I agree with Cary, I miss playing softball.

6/08/2007 12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home