Monday, October 13, 2008

Election Time

Tomorrow is Canada's Federal Election. For me, the more local the election, the less interested I become. You may think that Canada's National Election is as big as they come, but I am 100x more interested in the American election.

I've been closely following the American election, watching debates, reading on the latest news and of course watching Saturday Night Live. Tina Fey is spectacularly hilarious as Sarah Palin. I just started Audacity of Hope, and really like what I'm seeing so far. When I was in California, I saw a really nice Obama T-shirt, but it was really expensive and poor quality so I passed. When I went to NYC, I looked for one as well, but couldn't find a good one. Maybe I'll eventually find one.

But what to make of the Canadian election? I have a hard time voting for Dion, and maybe the Conservative ads are getting to me, but I couldn't imagine him representing our country. Harper is pretty conservative for a "stereotypical" Canadian, but he has lowered taxes and instituted a tax-free savings account. Harper also went to the high school one block from where I live, but I'm not sure whether that's good or bad. I don't think a vote to any other party would be worthwhile. So I suppose I wouldn't mind a minority conservative government, which is difficult to know what to vote for to achieve.

If Harper wins a majority, I think Canada would become much more right wing. I get the impression that the Americans think we are all liberals in Canada. So as a result, you get funny spoofs such as the following:



But no matter what your opinion, remember to vote tomorrow!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home