Sunday, August 24, 2008

Olympics

Even though I don't have TV in Waterloo, I've been watching as much as I can when I'm in Toronto (HD signal from the air is sweet). It's been an exciting games. I managed to catch some of Phelps destroying his competition in the pool and the electrifying run by Usain Bolt. I think the most exciting medal for Canada was Simon Whitfield's triathlon run, coming from behind to capture the silver. What an exciting race!

Also, I couldn't help to notice the cheerleaders. I didn't even know they had cheerleaders in the Olympics, and the most surprising thing is that there are Chinese cheerleaders! That's unheard of - especially in China - I think it's a new concept. And then the girls in the opening/closing ceremonies, the girls carrying the medals, leading the athletes in and out are all attractive. I never expected to see so many! Too bad the camera always shows them in passing and in the background :(

One last thing that's really cool for me personally. Remember during the opening ceremonies when the Chinese gymnast ran around the perimeter in the air before lighting the torch? The projected image was done with projectors made by my company on a projector I worked on. How awesome is that? My company provided all the projectors used in the Bird's Nest stadium - almost 150 projectors! Sweet.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt W said...

I also noticed the Chinese cheerleaders, opening ceremonies, and presenter girls. Even the women who just held the placards for each country at the different events were quite attractive. I don't doubt that there were numerous auditions and then the hand-picking of the most attractive women they could find.

I remember one really awkward scene though, this German male gymnast was really upset at his performance and was shown on camera at his seat really red and agitated, throwing his gloves around and stuff. The cute presenter girl was just sitting there with a big smile on her face. I bet she was told to do that...I think she probably felt really sorry for the guy.

Oh, and one other story, heh. When they were presenting the medals for female gymnastics, the two Americans and one Chinese girls were standing in a line with the presenters on either side of them (the ones in the shiny blue dresses). They had to angle the camera to show the gymnasts since they were so small. The result was that the entire right side of the frame was showing presenter boobs (clothed of course).

8/26/2008 11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, all Chinese cheerleaders, presenters were all picked from many many auditions. I'm not sure how many thousands of pple applied but about only 200 girls were picked. Some of them came from rural areas and were trained 24/7 to smile and walk so elegantly. They had to hold a chopstick between their teeth and only allowed to show 6-8 teeth when smiling. They put a book on top of their heads and a piece of paper between the knees and stand for hours. After the olympics, these girls were hired by airlines, banks, and other service sectors in China with a super high salary. So these girls work so hard to become one of the cheerleaders/presenters at the olympics...

9/14/2008 6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home