Tuesday, July 30, 2002

Another weekend has already passed by! Now there's only one more month to go! Anyway this weekend kicked off the mad August birthday rush. And because Matt's is at the end of July, I'm going to count that one too. Mine is next and I'm thinking of doing something for the 11th, but further details to follow.

Anyway this friday was spent driving around shopping for presents. So Rick shows up at 5:30 at my door, but I'm still at the office, which is fine, b/c I was on my way out from work anyway. My parents had gone to the Bruce Penisula for the day, so my sister and I cooked up some BBQ chicken and Rick ate with us. BTW feel free to show up at my door any time...I think that's why I'm out with rick and whang so much, they just show up and we
proceed to have conversations similar to the following one:

Guys: "Hey, what's up. Let's go do something."
Me: "sure, where to?"
Guys: "I don't know, let's figure it out in the car."
Me: "I'm up for that, let's go!"

From there we drive around until we end up someplace.

On this fri, Rick and I end up at futureshop, where I check out the cell phones (again) and I saw one that I liked... It's a Telus one, made by LG, a nice silver flip one, but it's $250. I'm not sure if i want to spend that much money on a phone yet, but it is very tempting...and I feel I need one pretty badly too. Everyday I encounter a situation where a phone would be so useful - both at work and at play.

Sat was workout day in the morning. I originally planned to go to Wonderland with my Electrical classmates, but Keith and Richard both bailed, so I eventually decided to bail too. I had a birthday party and present buying to do anyway. Anyway in the workout session we decided to try something new...doing a hundred reps on the bench!!! We started off with a very low weight, worked up to a max and then worked back down. Needless to say I was extremely sore the next day, but no time to worry about that, b/c the next day was Mountain Biking!

Sat night was Matt's Birthday Party, which was a lot of fun. Matt BBQed for us some tasty ribs & chicken. And as an added bonus, Matt found his social drink, which is the Corona. We ended off the night by watching The Fast and the Furious, which surprisingly, a lot of us had not seen yet. The story didn't make much sense, but at least the cars were really nice to look at!

Sun morning was mountain biking! I was really hyped up about it, b/c in we had a lot of fun up in Killbear mountain biking. We had to call it off b/c it was thunderstorming in the early morning, but surprisingly, it cleared up in the late morning. As usual, on the spur of the moment, we decided to go even though it was cutting it close with my afternoon softball game. It was all the way in Ajax/Pickering, but we stopped along the way to meet up
with Aaron (an elec buddy) and his friend. Once we reached there I found out how exhausted I was as soon as I started pedalling. The workout the previous day had really taken a lot out of me. The first set of trails we tackled were not very technical, but we went quite fast. I reached speeds of 40 km/h on dirt and stones, which is actually pretty dangerous now that I think about it. After a water/power bar break on a really hot and humid day, we decided to tackle a very technical course. It went a lot slower, but it was very challenging. Lot's of sharp up and downhills, narrow bike paths, large stones and roots etc, etc.

It was on this trail that I biked into a tree. There was a sharp downhill with a turn at the bottom, but unfortunately, I couldn't make the turn at the bottom of the decline, so I biked straight into a tree! I hit the tree with my front tire and flew into the tree. I ended up hugging the tree with my bike fallen over at my legs. I was ok and most importantly, so was my bike (you know, the body heals itself, but bikes do not). Anyway it was a lot of fun and I'm planning to go out again in the near future. Give me a shout if you want to come with!

I had to cut biking a little short and hurry back to my softball game, which I almost made on time. I don't think I've ever been on time for a softball game yet! It turned out to be a really good game, decided by only one run. We had a one run lead going into the opposing team's last at bat and we held them to no runs. This is actually quite a feat, considering how relatively easy it is to score runs in my league. Afterwards the team went out for dinner at the cheapest buffet we could find, which was Abacus. I used to really like buffets when I was younger, but now I really dislike them. Sure, there's a
lot of food, but the quality is usually very poor. IMO, money is much better spent ordering a quality meal at a nice sit-down restaurant.

The team had decided to rent a movie and watch it back at Iris' home, so a dozen of us show up at a local blockbuster. Everyone knows how it goes when that many people go to a video store and try to decide on a movie. The way I figure, is that with each additional person, the total time spent at the video store increases by 10 minutes. Well this time was very different. We all decided on the same movie within ten minutes! That must be some sort of world record! Amazingly we all decided to watch Shallow Hal, which was pretty good (for those of us that could stay awake for it all since we were so tired from the food and physical activity).

Anyway, another fun weekend down, only a precious few more to go! Man this blog is like a recital of my events, I think I should make it more interesting and fill it up with other stuff... Like how I had a very nice date on thurs in High Park, watching the Shakespeare play, A Midsummer's Night Dream .

Best wishes to Mike and his family. Till next time

-- Nels

PS Happy Birthday Matt!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home