Sunday, October 06, 2002

I'm a happy sports fan:

Remember how I said they would have tickets at the pep rally? Well I went, I bought and I saw.

But right before that on sat, rick, huy and myself checked out east side's marios for lunch where it was Alexander's Keith's 207th birthday. They were giving away free mugs if you bought a pint of Keiths. So being chinese and all, i naturally went for the free mug. Ha, for that day, the first thing that entered my mouth was beer, and the last thing that entered my mouth the night before was also beer. Anyway...the mug is actually a really quality mug, and I'm happy I have one now.

Onto the Raptors. First of all the PAC was packed. I don't think I've ever seen it this full...and probably never will. They estimated about 3000 people were in there. They charged people $5 a ticket, and they were selling snacks and drinks, so the Athletics department must have made quite a bit. The Raptors Charity Foundation also gave $10 000 to the Athletics department. Lucky department. Our engineering department Endowment fund is still a rounding error when compared to UofT's. :(

So now onto the actual basketball itself. Some of you who don't care about ball might want to skip this part... The actual game itself was really close and very exciting. Basketball games are always fun if it's close at the end, and this one definitely was. Chris Jeffries hit the game winning three pointer with five seconds left.

I'm going to talk about each player's performance. Most of you probably want to skip the next part.

Mo Pete. If the Raps are going to do well, it depends on him and vince to pull the team through. First of all, Mo Pete looks thicker and bigger than last year. He played quite well actually, getting on fire and hitting 4 or 5 three's in a row. So perhaps his shot has improved too, but we'll see when the season starts. He didn't drive much, which I always thought was his weakness, and I guess it still is...

Vince Carter. Looks healthier and jumping quite well. He made a few pretty crowd pleasing dunks of course. He also took a whole bunch of jump shots and fadeaways...hopefully he won't be doing too much of that in the season. But overall, he looked healthy and ready to go. The raptor's future depends on this guy.

Michael Bradley. This guy sucks. He had a bunch of decent plays, but he was on the court for almost the entire game and you wouldn't even be able to tell. I think it was a bad pick and they'll get nothing from him.

Nate Huffman. Rookie 7-1 centre from Central Michigan. Tall White Guy. Enuf said.

Lindsey Hunter. Veteran guard, formerly of the Bucks and Lakers. Played a lot of point and was ok, nothing special. Broke Jermaine Jackson's ankles on one play, but i guess that nothing special. Had a nice layup over AD and was alright at shooting. He'll be a backup guard and that's about it.

Chris Jeffries. The Rookie from Fresno State. Had a very quiet game, but hit the game winning 3 pointer. This guy looks to be an average player, and might crack the rotation, but I'm not expecting a lot from him. He's young though, so there's room for improvement.

Jalani McCoy. A 6-10 C. This guy was actually pretty good. Had a few nice blocks and monster dunks, and basically showed he can play. I think he might make the roster and perhaps get some playing time at the C position, especially since we have no one else...

Lamond Murray. I was quite impressed with this guy. This guy is large and very thick and has a scorer's mentality. I think he'll help shoulder the scoring load for Vince, b/c he quite effective at scoring, inside and from the outside. A very good addition to team, considering we got rid of Michael "Yogi" Stewart for him.

Mamadou N'diaye. This guy is huge. This guy looked much bigger than any other guy out there. He did ok...got to the line a few times, which shows some aggresiveness, but he also picked up 5 fouls. I don't know how, but this guy fouls a lot, so I don't think he'll be too effective during the regular season. Too bad though, cause he definitely has size.

Jerod Ward. 6-8 Rookie from Michigan. This is another guy that impressed me. I hope he makes the team. He had nice dunks and a good touch from outside. The most important thing is that he has hops and athleticism, which is more than the most players out there. There may be a little potential in this guy.

Alvin Williams. Was very quiet, like the whole of last season. I hope he can step it up, but i don't think he has it in him. But he's a tough guy and will start for the Raptors, but hopefully they can get a better point in the future.

Overall, I think the raps will be a bottom seed in the east. It is totally dependent on how well Vince plays. I hope he has a good year, and hopefully they'll surprise.

Anyway, they're coming back next year to Waterloo, so all you Raptor Fans better plan a trip up around this time next year!!!

--Nelson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home