Saturday, July 05, 2003

Ho's Blog Now

I've decided that Nelson Hu is not taking good enough care of this blog spot. I asked him a question like a week ago and the dude still hasn't responded! Who does that?!?!. For this reason, I am going to take care of it in his absence, and it shall henceforth be known as Ho's Blog.
The unfortunate thing is, however, I really don't have all that much interesting to blog about. It's cool spending the entire summer all by myself, and having the total freedom to hang out with Oriana and other friends all the time.... but it sucks having to walk or bus everywhere... especially when it's so HOT. At least my rollerblading skills have gotten way better.

The most exciting news I've got is that next year I will finally achieve my lifelong goal of taking a course in 19th C. Russian Literature. This might seem like a strange-ass goal, but ever since I was high school, I always wanted to take a course focused on this exact topic. I think a lot of people today probably wouldn't assiociate Mother Russia with being a particularly literary nation, but most agree that the two greatest novelists in history were Russian -- Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky -- while Turgenev probably wasn't too far behind. Admittedly, reading these authors is pretty intimidating -- with works of over 800 dense pages containing upwards of 150 characters with funny names like Raskolnikov or Kournikova -- wait a second... wrong Russian name -- and I know I won't have time during the year to read all these, so I emailed the prof for the reading list, and decided that now's the time to do it... it's my own summer challenge! I'm almost done re-reading an old favourite, Crime and Punishment (which is probably the most accessible of the books, and the only one I've dared touch to this point) and gearing up for another. On an interesting side-note, Crime and Punishment was the book Condoleeza Rice (a noted Russian scholar) gave George W. when he became Prez so he could learn more about the Russian psyche. Yeah, so while many are using this summer to get buff and healthy (good luck guys!) in the Nike run, I'll probably have my nose buried in a book. What a boring guy. What sorta person gets so worked up about an upcoming course...? I must be going nuts..... At least War and Peace isn't on the list. I'll save that one for another summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home