Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Browser Wars

As most of you know (I hope), Internet Explorer 7.0 and Firefox 2.0 were recently released. Looks like the browser wars are starting up again, which means competition, which usually means that everyone loses except for the consumer. Personally, I follow this somewhat closely because I spend almost my whole day looking through a browser window. I don't have TV at my place, so unless I go back to Toronto on weekends, I watch virtually no TV. I find the internet so much more interesting, so I spend a good chunk of my free time on the web. So I installed both new browsers when they came out and I've been trying them out (slanted more towards firefox though).

First IE7.0. I don't think I'll be switching back, but I gave it an initial try. No menu bar! WTF! That threw me for a loop....especially if they are trying to push the Windows interface, it seems strange that they would get rid of it for one of their most popular products. On the plus side, they added tabbed browsing finally...hopefully people will understand how to use if they had previously been stuck on IE6.0. I'll explain it in a second.

Anway, for Firefox 2.0, it's much of the same, but there are some new interface elements...that are kinda annoying. Luckily, Kevin posted a link explaining how to tweak Firefox.

IMHO, The most annoying thing is the close button on the tabs. Let me back up and explain something for those that don't know how to use tabs. Tabs are like another browser window, but contained within the original browser window. This is really convenient, because I'll typically have multiple sites I want to have open at the same time and be able to switch to them easily. So for example, if I provide a link to an external site, say Dear Margo, you can click on the link with your middle mouse button and it'll open in a new tab. You can then browse that site after you're finish reading this one, or switch to it immediately, peruse it, close it when finished and come back here. To close it, all that is required is clicking on the tab with your middle mouse button. Try it now!

How easy is that? Use the middle mouse button to open and close tabs...but I'm assuming you have a middle mouse button :)


So you don't need that pesky close button on the tabs....the site Kevin found explains how you can get rid of it.

Now....SURF!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Press ALT to get menu bars in IE7, and you can enable it under view-toolbars-menu bar.

10/26/2006 7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where has netscape gone? those were the golden days.

-tim

10/26/2006 8:08 PM  
Blogger Nelson said...

Thanks for the tip Matt. Although I don't use IE7.0, it's still good to know.

Tim, Netscape lives on in Firefox. Back in the day, when Netscape was trying to release their 6.0 version, they scrapped everything they had before and started a new engine. The incurred delay cost them and as a result, Microsoft's IE won. Eventually Netscape's code base was made open source and was used to start Firefox. So you can relive the golden days by using Firefox!

10/26/2006 10:42 PM  
Blogger whoami said...

Netscape was freaking retarded

10/27/2006 12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whatever keith mo-zilla

10/28/2006 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home