Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Getting a new Computer

My computer finally broke down this week. I opened it up to investigate a little further, and from the burn marks on the power supply PCB, it appears that the PSU has failed.

I'm going to get a new power supply and see if that fixes it. I've basically decided to get a new desktop computer by components instead of getting a Dell. I figure it'll be a little bit cheaper, since I don't have to buy a hard drive. I'll also hopefully be able to get a discounted video card from the AMD folks at some point.

I will try to go by Canada Computers and pick up an Antec NSK6500 today. For my last case, I bought an ultra cheap one, ($35) and regret the decision a little bit. I frequently accessed the insides, and this cheapo case made it difficult. It was also really noisy, which meant I never had the computer on overnight. I'm not too concerned with the look. I definitely don't want a flashy one, I don't want a see through one (dumb), and I want a minimum number of external LEDs.

An alternative I'm considering is the Antec Sonata III, which just came out. It has an external eSATA port, which would be a definite advantage over the NSK6500. Unfortunately, I can't find any Internet reviews for it yet. If anyone has some computer advice for me, please share.

Meanwhile, I've been playing Online Tetris with my DS, and surfing the internet with my Wii and finishing Tuesdays with Morrie. I'm also searching desperately for my MCBCSL softball jersey so I can get my third badge. It is nowhere to be found after searching both my Waterloo and Toronto homes for several hours. :(

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

My friend actually just recently spec'd out a new box.
See if this helps you.

Asus P5LD2 motherboard $93.69
Asus 8500GT 512mb PCIE $132.95
Intel E4300 CPU $130.16
WD 320GB SATA-II 16MB $80.84
LG DVD burner $29
LG DVD-ROM $17.41
Kingston 1GB DDR2-667 $35.93
Belkin wireless card $20.14

6/06/2007 6:46 PM  
Blogger Cary said...

Hey Nels,

Don't skimp on the power supply this time around. The newer video cards have obscene power requirements. Aim for something around the 600W range.

6/06/2007 9:03 PM  
Blogger Jerry Hung said...

For your reference/prices comparison, Dell has C521 for $399 today only (note: half-profile PCI cards only, as it's slim case)
http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&CS=cadhs1&l=en&OC=C521A2X_D_CBCXDDE
It's really hard to beat Dell pricing I find

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3600+
Windows XP Home Edition
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
16x DVD+/-RW Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

6/06/2007 9:50 PM  
Blogger dre said...

find your shirt!!! i ironed everyone else's yday except for yours!

6/07/2007 9:06 AM  
Blogger Cary said...

Wow, she is doing your laundry too?

Haha Nels you can have mine if you need one, but it'll be short 1 logo and it still has sleeves

6/07/2007 4:21 PM  
Blogger Nelson said...

First, I went by the Waterloo store and they were out of stock for both models I was considering. They should be restocked this weekend.

I'm not going to go SLI or crossfire, so I don't think I need a really really large power supply. 500W should do.

Jerry, I have a HDD and will get a half priced video card (hopefully). i also have an extra WinXP Licence. So I think it should be comparable in price. Plus i get the enjoyment of building my own system. :)

Andrea, I can't find my shirt :(

Cary, she's ironing the logo on. I'd rather have a new shirt rather than yours, but thanks anyway. I also still have the sleeves on that shirt.

6/08/2007 10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home